Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHOCK NEWS - Hot off the Press!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

These are much more complicated than all the other shocks for HD. The reservoir has an additional shim stack which is adjustable. This means that there is 3 controlling valving that must work together properly. The first problem is the hose will not work with a bagger. The height and the upper seal head (top of the shock where the eye is) fits (clearance) all models. I sent them back to the factory for the engineers to work out the hose problem. It is their shock and they need to use their production parts and not one off stuff.

when I get it back I will check fitment and one of our members will get the job of testing them out on his 09~10 Bagger. At that point (hopefully next week end) we shall what other hurtles we will jump over. Your answer is; I do not know. Thanks for asking.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 AM
suey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

impressive howard

Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard I know you will but please keep us update when thing change on these shocks.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 AM
timjab
Intermediate

Howard,im riding a 2005 road king but considering an 09 or 10 touring bike.would the same shocks work on either?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timjab
Howard,im riding a 2005 road king but considering an 09 or 10 touring bike.would the same shocks work on either?
FYI all shocks from 1986 ~ current are interchangeable.
These shocks above are 13 1/4" based on the #2~#3. We chose not to include the height adjustment which shortened them by 1/2" aprpx. to give the maximum stroke 93 mm/3 5/8". This is very long for these type of shocks. Thee is no more room to get more stroke.

Here is how you can figure out how your shock replacement would work. Plug in your own numbers.

For example our #3~#1;
9 1/4" is the lowest you can go in a strut with 1/8" tire growth & 1/8" clearance + full stroke. (Our #3~#1 is the shortest shock you can use which was purpose made for this app) for instance. You can use this guide in figuring out fitment. 9 1/4" + stroke of 67mm/2 5/8" = 11.875" (-) 12" = 1/8" more clearance and this would give 3/8" before your tire would hit the fender while on the kickstand and no tire growth.

On a side not once you sit on the bike the sag would be 22.33 mm/ 7/8" and your shock length is 11 1/8" eye to eye.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 AM
timjab
Intermediate

thanks howard, ill be giving you a call this week.

tim

Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is how you can figure out how your shock replacement would work. Plug in your own numbers.

For example our #3~#1;
9 1/4" is the lowest you can go in a strut with 1/8" tire growth & 1/8" clearance + full stroke. (Our #3~#1 is the shortest shock you can use which was purpose made for this app) for instance. You can use this guide in figuring out fitment. 9 1/4" + stroke of 67mm/2 5/8" = 11.875" (-) 12" = 1/8" more clearance and this would give 3/8" before your tire would hit the fender while on the kickstand and no tire growth.

On a side not once you sit on the bike the sag would be 22.33 mm/ 7/8" and your shock length is 11 1/8" eye to eye.[/QUOTE]

huh? lol

Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by leohd

For example our #3~#1;

On a side not (Typo: NOTE) once you sit on the bike the sag would be 22.33 mm/ 7/8" and your shock length is 11 1/8" eye to eye.
Originally Posted by leohd
huh? lol
I was showing how to measure any shocks for your own knowledge bank using as an example a known unit by measuring those shocks (#3~#1 and not any other shock which is not these shocks above) full riders sag measuring eye to eye. I wonder why that is LOL or am I reading your question incorrectly? Please tell me what you mean exactly, and I will most certainly try to answer it. Thanks If you modify your bike you must know this stuff prior to purchase or pay for the problem.

This exercise can be used with any shock and on a 86~Current Bagger. If those who use lowering block and shocks too short would do these measurements prior to purchasing or installation, than they would not need to replace their wiring and repaint their fender when the paint gets burnt off. Just added knowledge I thought you can use and take with you.

Last edited by FastHarley; 11-01-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typo's using crap keyboard
Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My reading of Howard's description is that when the rear shock is fully compressed, it must be at least 9 1/4" long, to prevent the tyre hitting the fender. This length includes an allowance of 1/8" clearance between the tyre and fender, plus an extra 1/8" for tyre growth when travelling at speed.

With a total stroke of 2 5/8" the shock will be 11 7/8" fully extended. Make that up to 12" and you get an extra 1/8" tyre to fender clearance.

Howard, you're a star and we are all learning from your contributions, so many thanks. You are also pushing forwards the frontiers of shock technology for us dresser owners and I look forward to learning more about your latest remote reservoir Ohlins. Best of luck sorting things out with those Swedes!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-01-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grbrown
My reading of Howard's description is that when the rear shock is fully compressed, it must be at least 9 1/4" long, to prevent the tyre hitting the fender. This length includes an allowance of 1/8" clearance between the tyre and fender, plus an extra 1/8" for tyre growth when travelling at speed.

With a total stroke of 2 5/8" the shock will be 11 7/8" fully extended. Make that up to 12" and you get an extra 1/8" tyre to fender clearance.

Howard, you're a star and we are all learning from your contributions, so many thanks. You are also pushing forwards the frontiers of shock technology for us dresser owners and I look forward to learning more about your latest remote reservoir Ohlins. Best of luck sorting things out with those Swedes!
2 grb

You are correct but I was showing all members how to measure using any shock and what will work and what will not just by using the known numbers on this type of bike. I read all reverent posts and see many people making avoidable serious and costly mistakes. Just a heads up is all.

Quick Reply: SHOCK NEWS - Hot off the Press!