Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Managment; Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll ditto the recommendation to call Fuel Moto. They sell most tuners, make their own excellent mufflers (Jackpot), and have top-drawer customer service with a zero-BS factor. In fact, if something they don't sell will work best for you they will recommend it.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some research on the different management systems. I've had the V&H Fuelpak and now have the SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner) that I've sent in to have upgraded by TTS (makers of the original SERT). I have no experience with the PC-V, but have heard good things. The PC-V, like many other systems, is a piggy-back module that stays on the bike and is mounted under the seat or side panel. The new TTS, like the SERT, is an interface that connects a laptop/Dyno to your bikes ECM and loads maps and allows changes to be made and does not stay on the bike.

I've sent in my SERT to be upgraded to the new Mastertune system which will allow me to tune my bike as close as possible without paying a DYNO tuner. And everytime a change is made, cams, big bore kit, exhaust, intake, etc., I can retune the bike myself. Granted, you will get many different answers/arguments for and against each different tuner and their abilities. None of them will give the "perfect tune" a real DYNO tune will, but for most people they will get you close enough that you'd be very happy. I'm happy with mine the way it is, but the upgrade to my tuner will give me so much more ability to tune, now and for future modifications.

I spent several hours reading Here and learning about the new system. Talking with many people about it and deciding it was my best choice, given I already had the SERT.

The Fuelpak is a budget tuner and worked ok, but I didn't care much for it's limited ability to tune.

Good luck, you have many options and a boat load of info on here.

Mike in Oregon, you're not to far from me, I'm just north of Vancouver, if you want we can hook up and you can check out my tuner when I get it back in a week or so. Might be good for you to see a few up close and personal.

Last edited by JonnyD; 10-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I've sent in my SERT to be upgraded to the new Mastertune system which will allow me to tune my bike as close as possible without paying a DYNO tuner.
Please explain how you can "tune [your] bike as close as possible" when you have no feedback (closed-loop) above about 50% TP, which is in open-loop mode? Yes, you can guess at the correct AFR's using VE tables, but you are still stabbing at the correct values while in open-loop mode with no feedback to go on.

And everytime a change is made, cams, big bore kit, exhaust, intake, etc., I can retune the bike myself.
Again, how are you going to adjust without a dyno-tune and know you have the correct AFR's in open-loop mode? You have no feedback (closed-loop) from which to adjust. Although you may get fairly close, I can't buy the guesswork involved in altering VE tables to get a good tune outside the influence of the O2 sensors.

Granted, you will get many different answers/arguments for and against each different tuner and their abilities. None of them will give the "perfect tune" a real DYNO tune will, but for most people they will get you close enough that you'd be very happy.
A dyno-tune isn't a "perfect tune," and this utopic state isn't really attainable with any known technology. A dyno-tune is dependent on having a good human tuner, and finding one in any given area isn't a sure thing. OTOH a PCV with Auto-Tune option is not understood by many since it hasn't been on the market long. It will auto-tune AFR's on the fly at the rate of 50x per second using wide-band O2 sensors. TTS (as well as SERT, SEST, etc.) use the stock narrow-band O2 sensors which only operate from about 50% TP and below and cover only an AFR range of ~14.2-15.1. The PCV-AT works in all RPM and TP ranges and can adjust between ~11 and 16:1 AFR, a much broader range than TTS or SEST and without the RPM/TP limitation.

I'm happy with mine the way it is, but the upgrade to my tuner will give me so much more ability to tune, now and for future modifications.
Being happy is the main thing and it is true that one tuner isn't right for everyone. It is also true that TTS, SEST, and the PCV are all excellent tuners that use a different approach to attain basically the same end. I do think the basic PCV with Fuel Moto map ($300) is the best bang-for-the-buck for most users, and adding AT will allow future mods to be made without any need to worry about AFR's.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:37 PM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with a PC-V from Fuelmoto.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

We have put together some pretty good info on our website on why bikes need to be tuned which can be found here http://fuelmotousa.com/harleymain.htm If anyone has any questions regarding fuel mangement we would be happy to help out

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 PM
joshuavlanderson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Management

I run an PC-V, and the product and customer service is amazing. good hunting, and welcome to the H.D. world. Hang on cause it is going to be an expensive ride.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just adding my 0.02c... +1 for fuel moto.. service and support is number 1...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote, "Again, how are you going to adjust without a dyno-tune and know you have the correct AFR's in open-loop mode? You have no feedback (closed-loop) from which to adjust. Although you may get fairly close, I can't buy the guesswork involved in altering VE tables to get a good tune outside the influence of the O2 sensors."

Ignorance is bliss, if it sounds good and by the butt dyno it feels better, it's tuned well enough. I know better, spent many years running an automotive dyno shop and dispelling such myths.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like being called ignorant. Makes me feel good all over!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that was the best bit of info I've gotten yet from anyone of my post regarding a question! Thanks guys! I'll be going to Jamie @ Fuelmoto when I'm ready to buy!