Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"07-up touring scoot "Must Haves" to correct OEM problems. Please contribute

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Corndog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. True duals, SE airbox and SERT to keep the heat down.
2. Floated rotors to keep the squeeking down.
3. Chrome front end...Just because it looks good.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on Screamin Eagle compensator and convince riders that 6th gear is not for under 70 mph.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...at the risk of being stupid I gotta ask whats IDS? Maybe someone else can benefit from my newbieness.

Thanks,
Mental

Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mental
OK...at the risk of being stupid I gotta ask whats IDS? Maybe someone else can benefit from my newbieness.

Thanks,
Mental
I copied this: Isolated Drive System

Lots of talk about the 07 bikes with the transmission noises that sounds like clatter or as some put it "can of marbles".

It happens in 5th and 6th gears on most bikes primarily baggers because of the fairings reflecting the noise back at the rider and weight of these bikes also compared to the smaller FX frames.

The 08 bikes are fitted with these rear wheel pulleys that in effect have a rubber cushion in the hub and absorb most of the shock transmitted through the driveline from the longer stroked 96 engines in the 06 Dyna's and all models in 07. Most installations of these kits have reported to have fixed the problem completely and the kit is retrofittable to the 07 bikes.

"07-up touring scoot "Must Haves" to correct OEM problems. Please contribute-ids.jpg HD Part #40287-07

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Isolator Drive System. New bikes come with this. It's a rear wheel sprocket shock absorber that reduces the shock to the drive line when the clutch is released and the belt engages.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

AHhhh...thanks for the input guys!

-Mental

Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have installed the IDS to help the transmission noise, as well as adding 75-110 Severe Gear gear lube, I installed a RidStr8 for the wobble, I installed a set of FatCats, a Big sucker 2 aircleaner, SERT and a good cam to cure the extreme lack of performance and to help get rid of some of the heat, the cam upgrade also got rid of the bang on startup, I also got a set of RG Originals heat shields and installed a oil cooler to help with the heat.
I ditched the crap stock tires for a set of Night Dragons which absolutely turned it into a differant bike.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Originally Posted by truckerdave
103"----- needed for hauling passenger and luggage in mountains, stock bike is sort of underpowered for that kind of riding.
Rear stabilizer + Dunlop E3's ---- vastly improved handling if you ride hard
Oil cooler-----dropped engined temps down in the hot summer(i live in hot climate)
Oil temp guage------ to replace useless air temp guage
Non EPA cams,pipes, AC + PCV----Mileage, power, cool running engine
Synthetic gear oil in tranny------ 5th gear whine reduced

With enough power/torque i never remotely felt i needed a IDS or any kind of gearing change.
Haven't been in the Rockies with mine but it had plenty of power in the mountains of NC without the 103 build with my wife on back. I'm sure i would like the 103 build but it's something I've never thought necessary.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Originally Posted by Barrenmug
I copied this: Isolated Drive System

Lots of talk about the 07 bikes with the transmission noises that sounds like clatter or as some put it "can of marbles".

It happens in 5th and 6th gears on most bikes primarily baggers because of the fairings reflecting the noise back at the rider and weight of these bikes also compared to the smaller FX frames.

The 08 bikes are fitted with these rear wheel pulleys that in effect have a rubber cushion in the hub and absorb most of the shock transmitted through the driveline from the longer stroked 96 engines in the 06 Dyna's and all models in 07. Most installations of these kits have reported to have fixed the problem completely and the kit is retrofittable to the 07 bikes.

Attachment 75706 HD Part #40287-07
Just have IDS and bearing checked with every rear wheel change. Below is what my bearing looked like after 8000 miles on my first IDS. Yeah first. I replaced my first one. Have about 3000 miles on the new one. So far so good.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Quick Reply: "07-up touring scoot "Must Haves" to correct OEM problems. Please contribute