Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Oil Drain Screw in too far...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The older drain plugs looked like that and have pipe-threads, totally different from newer models which have drain plugs similar or identical to engine- and tranny-oil plugs. You don't need tape or floss, just tighten it, but don't go further than flush with the outer primary cover. You'll feel it get tighter as you screw it in, and it doesn't need to be that tight.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mo co could have made it even better if they had used a plug like they use on cars with the o-ring built in to the plug. Or, they could have put a groove for the ring to set in. My o-ring is not worth replacing every time I change oil.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've serviced a few of my friends bikes with that style drain plug. They shouldn't be pushed all the way in. They can actually crack your primary case.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks just like the Primary Drain on my 02, the one time i had service done at the dealer, they gooped it all up so it wouldn't leak, along with rounding the torx head for me. since then, i just use a little Teflon Tape, and just screw it in flush.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcbay
Fired it up and had a whining sound... gave it a bit and shut it down. Drained the Primary Oil and noticed the plug had been rubbed...

My question:
What was the plug hitting - the bolts on my Clutch pack bell (?) or the Bell (?) itself... I think you know what I mean by the Bell.
That is the drain plug and that would be the primary chain coming in contact with the plug making the whining noise. Could have been worse, I know guys that have left sockets in the primary case; bad juju and can ruin your day or week or month.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The older drain plugs looked like that and have pipe-threads, totally different from newer models which have drain plugs similar or identical to engine- and tranny-oil plugs. You don't need tape or floss, just tighten it, but don't go further than flush with the outer primary cover. You'll feel it get tighter as you screw it in, and it doesn't need to be that tight.
I sure do like that all 3 drain plugs are the same on my RG and SG.
I've complained in the past on some of the changes HD made, but this one was a long time coming.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
Looks just like the Primary Drain on my 02, the one time i had service done at the dealer, they gooped it all up so it wouldn't leak, along with rounding the torx head for me. since then, i just use a little Teflon Tape, and just screw it in flush.
Nice paint... it sure was thoughtful of them to round off your Torx for you - what kind of rebate did they give you? Ha ha...! They probably would charge you to fix it if it were your fault but won't pay you when its theirs... Ahhhh - to be a dealership!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

The instructions in my 2003 Touring Model Owners Manual is the following: Clean the drain plug, apply Locite PST 565 to the threads and install in the primary chaincase cover. Tighten until the plug projects 0.16-0.18 in (4.1-4.6 mm) from chaincase.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tnharley7
The instructions in my 2003 Touring Model Owners Manual is the following: Clean the drain plug, apply Locite PST 565 to the threads and install in the primary chaincase cover. Tighten until the plug projects 0.16-0.18 in (4.1-4.6 mm) from chaincase.
I've never looked upon a Garage with lust... until I looked upon your Garage... Hooo Weee!!!

Ha ha...

Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the older models like yours use an allen head plug and it's just at the bottom of the derby cover, not pointing down like the newer models. yours goes in at the same direction as a derby screw. i thought i was seeing things when i changed a friends oils in his 05 roadking. i was looking for the familiar plug that i have on my 08 and it's not there. the primary on your bike likely is the one just below the derby cover and goes into the case from the side rather than the bottom. teflon tape and a torque wrench, and don't forget the tiny "O" ring that may be your problem. the p ring is much smaller than on the newer models. if you're not using that o ring, it could allow the plug to go in deep enough to rub on your clutch. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Primary Oil Drain Screw in too far...