Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Model RK

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009 | 01:42 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Police Model RK

I have been kind of watching for a used RK to add and have come across a few used Police models at what seems to be a good price.

I have only seen one in person once and didnt really pay much attention to it so just curious as to why they run so much cheaper.

Old 10-27-2009 | 01:49 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

there is a couple police models on this site... but check out this deal...

http://www.bikerbill.com/1033.html

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:11 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser

I have a '08 Road King Police model and I am very pleased with it. The 103" engine has run flawlessly for almost 10,000 miles now, and it has enough pep for my sorry ***. It also features an upgraded electrical system and I expecially like the air ride seat. They are sometimes available new from a dealer if you happen to find a leftover. I think the dealer is supposed to hold on to it for 6 months before he can sell it to a civilian. I was able to buy mine new because of an organization I am affiliated with. I still got the fleet rate, which works out to about three or four thousand less than a comparably equipped Road King Standard.

Opinions vary about whether or not a used In Service police bike is a good deal or not. They are probably ridden pretty hard, but usually mainatined well.

Either way, the police models are sold at fleet prices, so they usually go for a litle less used, as well.

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:21 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer

To convert them into a two up bike will cost some cash. usually used Road Kings have some pretty nice upgrades done to them which will cost a bunch if you buy a straight out police bike with no frills. Some folks don't like the saddlebags with the hockey puck ***** on the top.
As hyfly1 said...used models that have been in service as police bikes many times have been run hard and/or spent a lot of hot running time at slow speeds in parades or processions, etc.
Guess it really depends on the bike.....the idea of the larger motors is a nice plus.

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:29 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hyfly1
I have a '08 Road King Police model and I am very pleased with it. The 103" engine has run flawlessly for almost 10,000 miles now, and it has enough pep for my sorry ***. It also features an upgraded electrical system and I expecially like the air ride seat. They are sometimes available new from a dealer if you happen to find a leftover. I think the dealer is supposed to hold on to it for 6 months before he can sell it to a civilian. I was able to buy mine new because of an organization I am affiliated with. I still got the fleet rate, which works out to about three or four thousand less than a comparably equipped Road King Standard.

Opinions vary about whether or not a used In Service police bike is a good deal or not. They are probably ridden pretty hard, but usually mainatined well.

Either way, the police models are sold at fleet prices, so they usually go for a litle less used, as well.
Thanks for the info

It looks like I could get a 08 with 2200 miles for around 11k or a 06 with 4400 miles for around 9k. They have several but those seemed to be the 2 better priced ones.

That sound about right for a used Police model?

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:34 PM
TheDon81
Tourer

Yea, the police bikes are alway less than a civi, and if a dealer wants civi prices tell them to go F themselves.

Those prices sound about right.

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:45 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member

I would still set it up for solo (wife wont ride) but would still change the seat.

Looks like I would rather have the 08 since you get the 103 VS the 88, 2 years newer and less miles.

Just not ready to give up my Dyna and figure if one of these work out I could have both for close to what a new RK or Street Glide would cost me.

Anything else the Police models dont have or do have over a regular RK?

Old 10-27-2009 | 04:24 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

i was issued an 85, 87, 00 and 05 and an 07 briefly- police motorcycles at work. we also had 1991 FXR's.

i ran my wheels pretty hard and was NEVER left stranded- ever. yes, they were maintained well, but other than the 'run flat' tires, black nacelle, tach, seat, bags, extra switches and taller windshield- its a Road King.

its not difficult to tell which ones are beat to death and which ones were taken care of.

the 07 i had did have the 103/ABS. while the ABS is nice and the 103 sounds good, i can honestly say that my 00 out ran the 07 on the highway (at about 105mph).

Old 10-27-2009 | 04:30 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

I have 2 Police RKs an 06and a 07 no problems but get the 103 it is the bomb..

Old 10-27-2009 | 05:59 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks everyone

Now I just need to find time to go see them

Quick Reply: Police Model RK