Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw my life pass by in the rear view mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:29 AM
Anthony8858
|
Road Master
Default Saw my life pass by in the rear view mirror.

I was stopped at the intersection yielding to oncoming traffic, waiting to make a left turn. It was dark, and I made a conscience effort to keep an eye out for any cars that could be coming up the rear and not see me waiting in the intersection.
Sure enough...here comes a car in one of my side view mirrors coming up the rear, and he doesn't look as if he's slowing down.
Not taking any chances, I accelerated straight ahead (instead of turning), and sure enough..it was ONLY THEN that he noticed. At that point he slammed his brakes and skid about 25 feet right behind me as I was pulling away. If I didn't move...I'm toast!

Just thought I'd share my story, and remind everyone why it's a great idea NOT to put your bike in neutral while waiting for a light or yielding traffic in anticipation of a turn.

Heads up!

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:36 AM
mrghos
Road Master
Default RE: Saw my life pass by in the rear view mirror.

That is a big fear of mine. Glad it turned out ok. Quick thinking on your part...

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:38 AM
Anthony8858
|
Road Master

I'm gonna put some kind of reflector tape along the back of my jacket and some shirts, and designate a few shirts for warmer night riding.

Also a good idea to add some rear running lights.....somewhere on the back of the bike.

This was an eye opener.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:43 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have Kuryakyn Panacea tail lights on my Road King. You know, the ones that flash four times before staying lit.

When I am the last vehicle in line at a stop light, I apply the brakes for about six to eight seconds and then release and reapply them. That keeps the stop light and turn signal lights flashing. Makes me more noticable.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:58 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

glad you came out unscathed...

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:28 AM
Sreynold1
Tourer

I work claims, same idiots don't see cars stopped in front of them. Does anyone recommend the BACKOFF (I think that's what it's called).

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:30 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Coming from a dinner ride, the idot kid in a cager behind us didn't see us stopped at the RED Light and dam near rear ended us. Thank The Good Lord, AGAIN, we heard his brakes screaching and I was able to roll out and to the side. AND TRUST ME, my wife, or the monster in my wife's body is pure evil. She jumped off the bike this time and went to the front of his car siteing his license plate number and then to his window and well he got an ear full. The idot kid, I'm sure was scared because several other riders come up beside and behind him. More or less he was surrounded. Wife was pretty shook on this one, it took her a little bit to get back on. She walked to parking lot and had to sit and smoke a cigarette and get rid of the shakes.

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:53 AM
hammer4
Cruiser

Man,...I hear ya!!! Thats a huge fear of mine. When I'm in the left turn lane Iv'e got one eye in the mirror and the outher looking for an escape rout and my right hand tapping the break lite ready to roll out of the way.
Glad you made it clear!!

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:09 AM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

Not to long ago on Hwy 30 a biker was killed sitting in the left turn lane. A cager "didn't see him" stopped at the light and took him out. Since then I am always scanning my mirrors.

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:13 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

Good Idea to keep in mind. Do not put bike in neutral at lights and watch them friken mirrors.

Thanx!!!

Quick Reply: Saw my life pass by in the rear view mirror.