Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RK rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:23 AM
SeanEMac
Road Captain

let me just say that the op seems to be a short bus rider.

Old 10-29-2009 | 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
Thanks- Graham- I searched all through the forum before posting and could not locate a word on shocks or ride but the one about the ohlins and the man that builds the shocks.
I was looking for another option and opinions. If you could tell me how to find that thread I will get that long drink. Thanks.
I have considered Progressive as I have a set of 418s all new and raced with them and ohlins and works for years. Not sure that they do the trick for street bikes.
Gonna spend the winter exploring my options. Got an 8000 mi. ride next summer.
Having gone through some of the '09 related posts, I think this one has most to offer, if you haven't already read through it. Quite frankly, if you are going on a long trip like that you do not want a simple solution, but a superb one!

In fact if you simply search this forum for 'Ohlins' and 'Penske' you will cover most there is to be talked about on shocks! Even from the UK I can see that to improve my own bike those are the only two brands worth considering, if I am to avoid wasting money buying several other brands to find they are not up to the mark.

While Howard is obviously looking to sell his services and products, it is worth browsing through the many suspension-related pages on his website. There is a lot of good stuff there and some interesting things I didn't previously know. The value that Howard adds over most other shock suppliers is adapting high quality shocks to suit use on touring Harleys (his Penskes are race-car shocks), then he tunes them for each customer. I haven't found anyone else yet who does that for us.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-29-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added para.
Old 10-29-2009 | 09:10 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
You came here looking for some help and that's what we're trying to do. All some of us are saying is to first try some more pressure. It clearly states in the manual that you can go all the way up to 50psi. So you "aint" gonna put three times the HD recommended air pressure in the shocks. And no, I don't over fill my engine with oil. Only an idiot would do that. (And mayber not try more pressure in his shocks.) Man, just trying to help some. Atleast try it first, and then if it doesn't work look for some aftermarket shocks are maybe go back to Goldwing.
So sorry to ofend you theo-my apoligies. I think you might have miss read or miss understood my original post and that set you on the path of trying to go over ground that i had already traveled. I had run the air up to 30 lbs the 3rd week looking for a better ride and it was firm but too unforgiving over very small cracks and dips in the road that would eventually transfer too much impact through the bike and me on long runs.
I was looking for info on after market shocks from those that had used some. You even misunderstood the statement that I made about the triple air pressure- the hd manual recomends 12- 14lbs for my weight and you suggested to use 35 -45. that equals close to 3 times the reccomended amount where I come from.
If you weigh 350lbs - maybe that is what you run.
I like motorcycles. If you are suggesting to people on this forum to ride other brands when asking for advise on shocks you have a problem. Chill out man.
There is no need for you to take offence- you are not Willie G.

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:16 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Having gone through some of the '09 related posts, I think this one has most to offer, if you haven't already read through it. Quite frankly, if you are going on a long trip like that you do not want a simple solution, but a superb one!

In fact if you simply search this forum for 'Ohlins' and 'Penske' you will cover most there is to be talked about on shocks! Even from the UK I can see that to improve my own bike those are the only two brands worth considering, if I am to avoid wasting money buying several other brands to find they are not up to the mark.

While Howard is obviously looking to sell his services and products, it is worth browsing through the many suspension-related pages on his website. There is a lot of good stuff there and some interesting things I didn't previously know. The value that Howard adds over most other shock suppliers is adapting high quality shocks to suit use on touring Harleys (his Penskes are race-car shocks), then he tunes them for each customer. I haven't found anyone else yet who does that for us.
Thanks Grbrown- a lot of knowledge wrapped up on that subject at that site.

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:28 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Egldr05
I've run Progressive 440's on 3 bikes and although much better than stock (IMHO), Works Street Trackers are even better. I look at the stock shocks like I look at stock seats. They may work for some but for me they get changed as soon as the bike gets in my garage. The same goes for the stock fork springs. I run Works dual rate springs.

Rick
Thanks Rick- I will check out the worxs street trker shocks also.
Under real hard breaking the front end tends to dive a bit more than what I would like but I am okay with it. What do the forks springs cost aprox?

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I have an 09 Street Glide and weight 225 lbs and at 22 lbs in the shocks I bottom out.

I have been running 28 lbs. I am going to try 32 lbs on my next ride.
You need more air pressure in an 09 in my opinion.
You sound like you haven't even tried more air yet.

FYI: and I have a bad back, so when it starts to hurt after a ride,
I check the pressure and yip it's around 20 to 22.
Mine leaks down a little, I'm working on that too.

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:31 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SeanEMac
let me just say that the op seems to be a short bus rider.
I agree.
"ya buy em books and buy em books and all they do is eat the covers off"

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:44 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I have an 09 Street Glide and weight 225 lbs and at 22 lbs in the shocks I bottom out.

I have been running 28 lbs. I am going to try 32 lbs on my next ride.
You need more air pressure in an 09 in my opinion.
You sound like you haven't even tried more air yet.

FYI: and I have a bad back, so when it starts to hurt after a ride,
I check the pressure and yip it's around 20 to 22.
Mine leaks down a little, I'm working on that too.
I am way past the air Tex- I have had the pressure all over the scale. The post was not to find out about what air pressure I need to run but to find out info on some better shocks to install.
The air line is very sensitive and hard not to leak any off when connecting and disconnecting the pump. The slightest HISS is a lot of lbs. When it is pumped up to 30-40 it escapes real fast when guaging. More than when it is 12-16 lbs. I thought mine was leaking also- I was just loosing 5-8lbs when checking the pressure, when I had it pumped up around 22 or above.

Old 10-30-2009 | 07:15 AM
hogdad
Road Captain

Not to beat a dead horse here but I think those of us who have 09's - and I guess 2010 models if the shocks are the same- are either okay with the ride or we think it pretty much sucks. This is the bike from the factory with the shock rates the way it was designed and while some may find a more comfortable medium through air pressure preference the rest of us (me included) are not thrilled with the ride quality trade off we got for better handling. Short of changing shocks to aftermarket I think it is what it is............

Old 10-30-2009 | 07:35 AM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hogdad
Not to beat a dead horse here but I think those of us who have 09's - and I guess 2010 models if the shocks are the same- are either okay with the ride or we think it pretty much sucks. This is the bike from the factory with the shock rates the way it was designed and while some may find a more comfortable medium through air pressure preference the rest of us (me included) are not thrilled with the ride quality trade off we got for better handling. Short of changing shocks to aftermarket I think it is what it is............
Thanks hogdad, the post was hijacked by a couple of fellows that didn't read it properly and they tried to turn it into a debate about how much air pressure they ran in the shocks of their specific bikes.
If they are happy with that kind of a ride I am glad for them. There is a much better ride to be had out there and a few of the responders understood the post as written and provided a lot of great input.
I know a lot about suspension already-just needed to find riders that have already converted and what brand they used. All in all it was very informative. motorcyclemetal- Howard has the angle and knows how and why shocks work and don't work.
Thanks Graham.

Quick Reply: 09 RK rough ride