Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RK rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 10:44 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Are you sure your book is for your 2009 model bike? I have a 2009 Electra glide classic and depending on the load you can air them up to 50 psi...I run my shocks at about 40 psi and it rides great.
Yep, he needs to try alot more air before he says their crap. My Ultra rides very smooth. Could it be better? Maybe. Is it rough? Absolutely not. I run 40-50 depending on load.

Old 10-28-2009 | 11:03 AM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

I didn't need to check the owners manual because it is for an 09 rk.
Are you 2 saying the manual from HD could be wrong?
According to the manual the air for my wt has been set at the proper levels. Anywhere from 10-16lbs. Depending on preload.
That resoning seems way out of line to pump it up higher for a softer ride.
But I will give it a shot.

Old 10-28-2009 | 11:27 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master

In '09 along with the frame changes and all, the pressure recommendations are also different. They need alot more. Are you looking at a Service Manual possibly from an earlier year or something? Hopefully this is all you need to give you an acceptable ride. Good luck, keep us posted. Also note that the Street Glide chart is in the manual also and they do take less because of the shorter shocks. Mayble looked at the wrong chart?

Old 10-28-2009 | 12:41 PM
SeanEMac
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
I didn't need to check the owners manual because it is for an 09 rk.
Are you 2 saying the manual from HD could be wrong?
According to the manual the air for my wt has been set at the proper levels. Anywhere from 10-16lbs. Depending on preload.
That resoning seems way out of line to pump it up higher for a softer ride.
But I will give it a shot.
the reasoning doesn't seem out of line. you're bottoming out and as a result it's bouncing back and forth. i wouldn't want to ride the thing the way you have it arranged.

the manual isn't "wrong" but it doesn't produce the kind of ride I want when solo, so i put more air in the shocks. when loaded i find the recommendations to be perfect. they are a jumping off point, that's all. the type of rider you are and the type of riding you do have a huge impact. if i putzed around on smooth roads in a straight line all the time they would likely be great. there's no right or wrong answer here.

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:06 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SeanEMac
the reasoning doesn't seem out of line. you're bottoming out and as a result it's bouncing back and forth. i wouldn't want to ride the thing the way you have it arranged.

the manual isn't "wrong" but it doesn't produce the kind of ride I want when solo, so i put more air in the shocks. when loaded i find the recommendations to be perfect. they are a jumping off point, that's all. the type of rider you are and the type of riding you do have a huge impact. if i putzed around on smooth roads in a straight line all the time they would likely be great. there's no right or wrong answer here.
Thanks for the input- but if you had read the 1st post it would have made it clear that I was not bottoming out until I was around the 10lb mark which is a bit low from what the 09 RK manual suggests. I arrived at the 8-10 lbs setting after adjusting the shocks to the 12-14lbs as prescribed by the manual. When I have more than the 10 lbs the back wheel will leave the ground when riding over the humps. It acts like there is 35 to 40lbs of air in them. way to rough.
You might not know the difference between the 2 but it is a big difference and shocks should not function that tight. Others I have talked with feel the same way and they have asked me to question informed people on this forum as to what other shocks are available for the RKs. I was not seeking advice on how to make the stock ones work better-been there done that.
So far I have had a good number of leads from those that have removed their shocks and replaced them with Progressvies or ohlins. Their input seems to suggest that the replacement shocks are a great improvement and they no longer fear the bumps.
I am glad that some of you are happy with your 35 and 40 lb set up. But I am looking for a bit more performance in the handeling and ride dept.
Not real sure how you can say the manual is not wrong and then say that you don't follow the manual recomendation and triple the amount of air suggested. ?

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:09 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
Yep, he needs to try alot more air before he says their crap. My Ultra rides very smooth. Could it be better? Maybe. Is it rough? Absolutely not. I run 40-50 depending on load.
You said they were crap- I said they were cheap.
I ain't putting 3 times the HD recomended air pressure in the shocks.
You don't over fill you engine oil too do ya?

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:24 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
You said they were crap- I said they were cheap.
I ain't putting 3 times the HD recomended air pressure in the shocks.
You don't over fill you engine oil too do ya?
You came here looking for some help and that's what we're trying to do. All some of us are saying is to first try some more pressure. It clearly states in the manual that you can go all the way up to 50psi. So you "aint" gonna put three times the HD recommended air pressure in the shocks. And no, I don't over fill my engine with oil. Only an idiot would do that. (And mayber not try more pressure in his shocks.) Man, just trying to help some. Atleast try it first, and then if it doesn't work look for some aftermarket shocks are maybe go back to Goldwing.

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:57 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunner11
You need more air pressure I ride 25-27 solo, and 40 2 up and my ride is smooth as silk. I weigh 225. Also, make sure the pressure is good in your tires I ride 36 front and 40 back on my Ultra.
Yup, that's my experience as well. The '09 air shocks require higher pressure than previous years.

Old 10-28-2009 | 06:57 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

I've run Progressive 440's on 3 bikes and although much better than stock (IMHO), Works Street Trackers are even better. I look at the stock shocks like I look at stock seats. They may work for some but for me they get changed as soon as the bike gets in my garage. The same goes for the stock fork springs. I run Works dual rate springs.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 10-28-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 09:41 PM
RKC2010
Cruiser

I put 12" Progressive 440 heavy duty shocks on my 2010 Road King Classic. I needed to get a little closer to the ground. I'm 5'8" at just over 200lbs. I've had my wife on the bike a few times, that adds another 120lbs. So far so good, I have no complaints about the ride!

Quick Reply: 09 RK rough ride