Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RK rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009 | 02:20 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain

Wow. Sorry to hear you're having so much discomfort on a new bike. I don't have any recommendations, just a data point. I weigh 150 lbs., ride solo only, and don't carry much extra weight on my 2009 Ultra. Believe I run about 12 psi in shocks (I just looked at the chart in the owner's manual and used their recommendation.) I always run 36 psi in the front tire and 40 psi in the rear. I think I'm pretty hard to please in the comfort department and yet I find that the Ultra gives me as nice a ride as anything I've ridden. My lower back isn't in great shape but I've never been uncomfortable, even after 10 hours on the Ultra. I can't say the same for any of my BMWs.

Is it possible there's actually something wrong with the bike?

Hope you find something that works for you.

Old 10-27-2009 | 03:12 PM
newdep332
Tourer

Was just thinking about this.....how is it that MOCO recommends the same air pressure in the tires and the shocks for a Ultra and a Road King? Won't the added weight of the tour pack make a difference? Seems like it would be lower for the RK.

Just wondering.

Old 10-27-2009 | 04:24 PM
SeanEMac
Road Captain

I weigh 180lbs and ride w/ pretty close to 40lbs at all times. love the ride.

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:22 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by newdep332
Was just thinking about this.....how is it that MOCO recommends the same air pressure in the tires and the shocks for a Ultra and a Road King? Won't the added weight of the tour pack make a difference? Seems like it would be lower for the RK.

Just wondering.
Tire pressure is one thing that needs to stay the same for tire performance no mater what the wt of the bike or rider is.
MOCO does not recomend a static air pressure for the air shocks.
They have a suggested shock pressure for your wt though. + or -

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:38 PM
FLTRKER
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cookiemech
Wow. Sorry to hear you're having so much discomfort on a new bike. I don't have any recommendations, just a data point. I weigh 150 lbs., ride solo only, and don't carry much extra weight on my 2009 Ultra. Believe I run about 12 psi in shocks (I just looked at the chart in the owner's manual and used their recommendation.) I always run 36 psi in the front tire and 40 psi in the rear. I think I'm pretty hard to please in the comfort department and yet I find that the Ultra gives me as nice a ride as anything I've ridden. My lower back isn't in great shape but I've never been uncomfortable, even after 10 hours on the Ultra. I can't say the same for any of my BMWs.

Is it possible there's actually something wrong with the bike?

Hope you find something that works for you.
A lot of places that we ride down south have pretty smoth roads and no bumps but here in the mid west the freezing and thawing creates a lot of humps in all the roads and hwys- along with all the digging up and reburying of drainage tiles and sewer pipes. I have way too many miles of poor roads on my back and know that there are better shocks out there than the ones that came on the bike. I never said I "was uncomfortable".I haven't been on too many BMWs lately but put 300 miles on one last year and was impressed with the ride.
As far as "something wrong with the bike?" yeah, it has some cheap air shocks on it.
You might not be riding your ultra hard enough if you are that comfortable. try gassing it up a bit.
But thanks for the reply regardless.

Old 10-28-2009 | 12:23 AM
harleygeezer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
I will try that, but it doesn't stand to reason that if 18-20lbs is too stiff and bounces the rear wheel off the ground that 25-27lbs would make it any smother. Are you sure your guage is correct- you need to have that checked.

Tire pressure is always perfect.
The rear wheel bouncing off the ground is not due to too much air but not enough. The shock not being stiff enough is what's causing the rear tire to bounce. I was surprised with my ultra how much difference only three or four pounds of air makes in the rear shocks. Bump the pressure up to 24 or so and I think you will be surprised how much better the bike rides and handles.

Old 10-28-2009 | 12:31 AM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer

I was having a rough ride too....pumped up the shocks to about 38...and have kept it there for both one and two up and the ride is much improved. Also the sundowner seat helped alot too.
I keep tire pressure at 40 cuz I want it to last as long as possible and that is what is reccommended.
I weigh about 225.

Old 10-28-2009 | 06:39 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Tire pressure, try 36 all around. For me, big difference from the 36F/40R that I was riding at. Doubt that little bit will impact your tire milage, and even if it does, it is worth it to have a decent ride.

My cars have always been the same, ride 35PSI and they bounce down the road, 30PSI and they are smooth as heck

Old 10-28-2009 | 06:52 AM
bobros
Road Warrior

09's require more air in the shocks then previous years. I ride 35lbs solo. You should notice a big improvement.

Last edited by bobros; 10-28-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 07:14 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
Thanks- but the book says- like 10-12lbs. single for my weight. I am worried that if I pump em to 35-40lbs- that if I ride over a leaf it would hurt. Won't do that. If I lower the tire air pressure below recomended that will ruin my tires. Don't wanna do that either. $$$
You CAN have a smoth ride on a motorcycle, There is no reason that the rear tire should bounce off of the road on a 2 inch bump. It is like a hard tail almost.
Glad to know others have the same problem.
Are you sure your book is for your 2009 model bike? I have a 2009 Electra glide classic and depending on the load you can air them up to 50 psi...I run my shocks at about 40 psi and it rides great.

Quick Reply: 09 RK rough ride