Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
jfanton
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOG tunes

I installed them on my RG a few weeks ago. They are better than stock as they play louder and clearer at higher volumes. Although it's hard to talk bass on a bike, there is an improvement. But I feel a RG will produce better bass response over a batwing due to the fairing design. But don't expect to hear the angels sing. I could understand people being critical if they were more expensive, but were only talking $100 bucks.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Maineultraclassic:

While volume is one thing, what about the "fullness" or the bass response of the speakers? I upgraded to the J & M speakers before finding out about the Hogtunes [:-( and, while better than stock, the lows are virtually non-existent. The speakers sound like a bad AM radio in the 70's.

I can always get more volume by cranking up the radio. The full range of highs, mid's and bass is what I'm looking for. Your input would be appreciated.

Tod

Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tphillips

Maineultraclassic:

While volume is one thing, what about the "fullness" or the bass response of the speakers? I upgraded to the J & M speakers before finding out about the Hogtunes [:-( and, while better than stock, the lows are virtually non-existent. The speakers sound like a bad AM radio in the 70's.

I can always get more volume by cranking up the radio. The full range of highs, mid's and bass is what I'm looking for. Your input would be appreciated.

Tod
You are not going to get bass from a 5 1/4" speaker...........it's just not going to happen. The rated frequency response for them only goes down to 55hz.....and they start rolling off higher then that.

Any bass you get on a bike is going to disappear with road noise, wind noise, and bike noise. You need an enclosed area to get the bass you can really feel, and a bike isn't going to give you that.

What you get with HogTunes is much crisper sounding full range sound, and you are able to push them louder due to their better design.

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Baldman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have Hogtunes on my Ultra with the stock radio and love them!

Take care,
Baldman

Old 07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
gaindian
Cruiser

Has anybody installed the Hogtunes in just the front on an Ultra. If so, what did you think?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah -- I know that the bass response needs some kind of reverberation unit -- like a trunk or big box. Without even a cabin (like on a car) it will be missing the depth. Just wondering what the difference was in sound quality for the $200 to be invested in the speakers.

Thanks for the quick response.

Tod

Old 07-07-2006, 03:51 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Maddogs700srx

I just installed the hog tunes on my EC with a Sony 300, I think that they suck! I'm used to quality car audio products, and these are not in my opinion. I get alot of distortion in the high teens (18+) on the volume control. Maybe I just got a bum set?

It's not the speakers dude, it's your settings on the radio. If I'm pushing my Sony I can get the speakers to clip at 15.

Why do people expect miracles from a 5 1/2" speaker???

Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Maddogs700srx
Cruiser

I have messed with the settings several times and I just can't find the right combination for the speakers. Its either to high of a pitch or it just distorts on the lows.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Check out your programming there are crossover settings for high and low. I set mine at 125mhz for high and 80 Hz for low. (still too much for little speakers)

DSO on the second setting and X-Plod on Rock. If I really crank it up I'll turn LOUD off.

Some of my CD's I can crank all the way up with NO distortion. Granted I do not have Hogtunes they are still a quality product, I opted for Alpine, due to a fitment issue for my model year.

Pez, I still think your speakers will fit a 96.

V2