Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal

I'm in the process of ordering the Harley Oil Temp Gauge to replace the Ambient Temp Gauge. I've done research (search function) so I understand what this small project entails. Two small questions left unanswered.

1. I currently have the chrome bezel installed on the ambient temperature gauge. Can I remove the guage without removing the chrome bezel first?
2. Any suggestions on how to remove the chrome bezel either before I remove the gauge or after I remove the gauge from the fairing? Can it be reused? I have no objection to buying another set but don't want to if I don't have to.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps I don't understand your question, but the new gauge will have it's own bezel. It will all become very clear to you when you have
the gauge kit in hand and read the instructions. By the way, I mounted my sensor in the oil pan. Also, good info at this link.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

Last edited by wldbill; 10-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are using a spun aluminum gauge or silver gauge it comes with a chrome bezel built in. If you buy a black oil temp guage it does not come with a chrome bezel and the P&A catalog indicates it is not compatible with a chrome bezel. I believe the catalog is incorrect. The chrome bezel appears to fit the black gauge however until I successfully install it I'm not ready to suggest the catalog is wrong.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the stock guages for the Ultra like mine, (see picture)

the chrome bezel is actually plastic and just sticks on with double sided tape. So the bezel should pull off, hopefully you dont break it. But it would have to come off before you remove the gauge. Hope this helps

Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree, the gauge comes out the front (front of the inner fairing, not front of the bike), with the bezel on it.
Remove the outer fairing, unplug the wiring from the guage, remove the bracket that holds it in and push it through from the inside to the outside (towards the driver).
Remove the chrome bezel by first softening up the adhesive with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Last edited by Wally; 11-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
I'm in the process of ordering the Harley Oil Temp Gauge to replace the Ambient Temp Gauge. I've done research (search function) so I understand what this small project entails. Two small questions left unanswered.

1. I currently have the chrome bezel installed on the ambient temperature gauge. Can I remove the guage without removing the chrome bezel first?
2. Any suggestions on how to remove the chrome bezel either before I remove the gauge or after I remove the gauge from the fairing? Can it be reused? I have no objection to buying another set but don't want to if I don't have to.
You're aware that this Harley oil temp gauge doesn't look like the others at night, right? Just to make sure you won't be disappointed after you install it.
The gauge has a white strip at the bottom of the inside lip, creating a halo when it's illuminated. I saw it on one of my friends' bike and it looks different.
I wonder why HD let this happen.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Since the gauge comes out toward the rider the chrome bezel should just come out with it. The double sided tape that holds it on probably won't resist too much if you just pull it off. If it resists, just heat it a bit as stated above. Reinstall it by placing three small dots of silicone adhesive around the perimeter and push it into place.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The guage will come out with the bezel on it. The Harley oil temp. guage is a little different where the bezel goes on. Parts book says that chrome bezel will not fit. It will with a couple drops of silicon. Don't notice any difference in the lighting on my guage.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PS all the new oil temp guages now mount in the oil pan

Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wally
I disagree, the gauge comes out the front (front of the inner fairing, not front of the bike), with the bezel on it.
Remove the outer fairing, unplug the wiring from the guage, remove the bracket that holds it in and push it through from the inside to the outside (towards the driver).
Remove the chrome bezel by first softening up the adhesive with a hair dryer or heat gun.
What he said...I reused mine from the air temp gauge ( I didn't need a heat gun though..a few drops of wd40 and the tape let go)

Attached Thumbnails Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal-006resized.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal