Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
Just for entertainment. I know most of us like gauges. I like gauges. I have learned though, that the HD gauges really don't tell us much. They are cute and fun, but not too worthwhile. JMHO.
Do you still have your air temp gauge? The big knock on the air temp gauge is that it's not accurate. Mine always read quite a bit higher than the current temp. Now that I'm taking the time to replace it, I understand why. The temp sensor is protected from outside air by being installed inside the fairing. Anyone ever reinstall it outside the fairing and find out then if it is accurate?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You're aware that this Harley oil temp gauge doesn't look like the others at night, right? Just to make sure you won't be disappointed after you install it.
The gauge has a white strip at the bottom of the inside lip, creating a halo when it's illuminated. I saw it on one of my friends' bike and it looks different.
I wonder why HD let this happen.
The thumbnail below is a picture of my new oil temp gauge installed and illuminated in a dark garage. You'd be hard pressed to notice any difference unless you are looking for it.

All of the gauges have a ring of light around them if you look closely enough, however the oil temp gauge has a very slightly larger ring of light around the face. Only slightly noticeable at night and I would be hard pressed to even notice it without someone bringing it to my attention.

Maybe Frenchbiker's friend got a bad one.

Attached Thumbnails Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal-gauge-illuminated.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by HarleyWood
Mine all look the same. Just make sure you use the little condom from the temp gauge bulb on the new oil gauge.
My new oil temp gauge came with the same "little condom" that was on the air temp gauge.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
The thumbnail below is a picture of my new oil temp gauge installed and illuminated in a dark garage. You'd be hard pressed to notice any difference unless you are looking for it.

All of the gauges have a ring of light around them if you look closely enough, however the oil temp gauge has a very slightly larger ring of light around the face. Only slightly noticeable at night and I would be hard pressed to even notice it without someone bringing it to my attention.

Maybe Frenchbiker's friend got a bad one.
Thanks and I agree with you, based on your picture. Yours looks different than my friend's gauge when illuminated. How old is it and what's the part number? Does it have a white strip on the bottom of the inside lip that the other gauges don't have?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Thanks and I agree with you, based on your picture. Yours looks different than my friend's gauge when illuminated. How old is it and what's the part number? Does it have a white strip on the bottom of the inside lip that the other gauges don't have?
I bought it last Thursday (10/29). P/N 75265-04A. No white stripe that I see.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought it last Thursday (10/29). P/N 75265-04A. No white stripe that I see.
OK, so the newest model is definitely different. That's great news. Thanks.

Look at this thread and you'll see the old gauge and its different look.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...yes-or-no.html

Last edited by frenchbiker; 11-03-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you still have your air temp gauge? The big knock on the air temp gauge is that it's not accurate. Mine always read quite a bit higher than the current temp. Now that I'm taking the time to replace it, I understand why. The temp sensor is protected from outside air by being installed inside the fairing. Anyone ever reinstall it outside the fairing and find out then if it is accurate?
I've heard of several people that have relocated the sensor and they claim it improves the accuracy significantly. I personally have not done that yet. Maybe next time I am in the fairing I will do that too.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On my 08, the sensor is outside the fairing on theneck just ahead of the gas tank. Seems fairly accurate.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
On my 08, the sensor is outside the fairing on theneck just ahead of the gas tank. Seems fairly accurate.
I'm guessing you moved it there or did it come from the factory that way?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm guessing you moved it there or did it come from the factory that way?
The 08s came from the factory with the sensor outside the fairing. Probably could move it on earlier bikes too.

Quick Reply: Ambient Temp Gauge/Chrome Bezel Removal