Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new HD owner-info for primary oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
hawgsickle
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new HD owner-info for primary oil change

bought a used 08 FLHT this summer, man what a great bike, only had 1350 miles on it when I put it on the interstate bringin it home. anyway, the initial oil change had been done by the previous owner/dealer. now it's my turn. I don't have a prob with the oil change, but want to be sure about the primary... new to Harleys. I went to the website area about oil, but got 404 errors.

is that webpage busted ? does anyone have some good step by steps ?

thnx

DK

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I change my primary oil at the end of every season in late November. You will get a ton of suggestions on what to use as a primary oil. Just remember that the oil that you do use is not for lubrication. It is for cooling purposes. That said I use Castrol GTX 10/40. There is a drain plug underneath the derby cover for draining the oil. You can refill it thru the primary chain inspection cover towards the front of the primary casing. The best investment you can make and you will hear from just about eveyone on this forum, is to get your hands on a service manual.

Attached Thumbnails new HD owner-info for primary oil change-primary-drain-plug.jpg  

Last edited by soos; 10-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
.....There is a drain plug underneath the derby cover for draining the oil. You can refill it thru the primary chain inspection cover towards the front of the primary casing.
Hmm, that's not where the primary drain screw is on my '08 EGC.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Could I haver erred and that a change has been made since '06?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Plug on the 08 is underneath totally, same size as trans and engine drain plug. In the attached pic, from the inside I circled it in red. Pull plug and drain, change o-ring on plug, fill through derby cover with bike upright. Takes 38oz thereabouts.

Attached Thumbnails new HD owner-info for primary oil change-100_0280.jpg  

Last edited by dawg; 10-25-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This oil is motorcycle oil. Not just for the motor or one purpose, but made for all three purposes. Motor, primary, and trans.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx

Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Plug on the 08 is underneath totally, same size as trans and engine drain plug. In the attached pic, from the inside I circled it in red. Pull plug and drain, change o-ring on plug, fill through derby cover with bike upright. Takes 38oz thereabouts.
I stand corrected.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi DK, welcome to Harleys and HDF from the UK. Oils are one of the most frequent topics on here, along with tyres, so take time for a browse around here. There is plenty of advise available and a confusing variety of answers! But start by buying yourself a factory workshop manual. If all else fails, or you can't decide which advise to follow, do what it says in the book! That will also tell you where your drain plugs are....

The bike is probably under dealer's warranty? What support or service package does it come with? You may not need to do anything with your bike for a while yet. Ask them before doing unnecessary work.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-26-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added para.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't over torque the torks head bolts on the derby cover when re-installing, you will appreciate it come next oil change. By the way I use Amsoil 20W-50 in the primary and engine.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i use synthetic ATF as many indies do. the ATF is formulated for clutches. the ATF lubricates the chain and pulls heat away from the clutch basket too.

Quick Reply: new HD owner-info for primary oil change