Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler Paint, Defect.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts
Default HD Oil Cooler Paint, Defect.

I'm wondering if it's just the one I have or if others here experienced this same issue. I have the new HD premium oil cooler kit. I had it installed many months ago by the dealership I bought the bike from. I was thinking of contacting HD customer service to see if they would considered it a genuine defect. The black paint has chipped off the tops of all 3 flat heads of the oil radiators screw posts. The worst part about this is that the posts are permanently anchored to the radiator bracket, making them impossible to remove and replace. The only solution to this issue I can see is using an HD black touch up pen, which looks like crap afterwords. Anyone else have this happen?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Is your bike new? Did you have it installed prior to delivery or within 60 days of purchase so it is covered under the 2year factory warranty?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Is your bike new? Did you have it installed prior to delivery or within 60 days of purchase so it is covered under the 2year factory warranty?
I was mistaken about the cooler being bought 'many months ago'. It's a 2008 105th Anniversary Road Glide, I bought on March 5th, 2008. The oil cooler was put in on 3/19/08. I confirmed this with the receipts. As the bike, the oil cooler is in immaculate condition except for the paint chipping off. I forgot about the warranty on accessories installed after purchase. I'm not sure how it works, would I have to bring the bike in to have them replace it or would they give me another and let me put it in myself? I would figure if they did put it in, would they charge me for labor?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,838 Posts

As long as it was installed by the dealer within 60 days of bike purchase, it should've been added to your warranty. They would have to install the second time around as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Default Validity.

My thought is, will they actually replace it because of the paint chipped? Would it be considered a legitimate defect or is there a probability they will down play it? Defective parts go back to the HD factory, correct?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Shed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint chips are not normally a warranty item, since the paint is not peeling and the MoCo cant be held responsible for pebbles etc being thrown up. Get a touch up pen it is bothers you so much.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 AM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Went and helped a buddy pick up a 2009 Rocker C. When he took delivery the sales guy said they had ordered a new swing arm and rear fender because there was a very small chip in the paint on the fender and it looked like two peices of sand weren't brushed off when the swing arm was clearcoated. They are going to replace all parts free of charge when they come in. He has the red rocker c with black flames.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Default Really?

Originally Posted by Shed
Paint chips are not normally a warranty item, since the paint is not peeling and the MoCo cant be held responsible for pebbles etc being thrown up. Get a touch up pen it is bothers you so much.
Do you know this for a fact or are you just assuming through your own want and determination? What do you base your statement on? From your statement, it sounds like you have stock in Harley Davidson and in my returning this, you will loose money. You sound like an HD dealership. For your information, I confirmed it today with the dealership I bought the bike from. This and all paint 'defects' are covered under the warranty. All 3 screw posts are behind the oil coolers radiator. There is no way rocks or pebbles could get "thrown up" and chip off the paint on all screw heads. This is not a road debris issue. It cost me almost $700.00 to have them put this in. This is not the first time I've seen for myself and heard of on here, of Harley Davidson's paint and chrome quality problems. I guess you didn't read my earlier reply, as far as the touch up pen, it comes out looking like s---! That might be good enough for your ride, but not for mine.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In your face!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,831 Likes on 1,592 Posts

If its been over a year since the install its going to be hard to get them to cover it under warranty unless you/they added it to the bike warranty etc. No, I don't know how that works but have been personally denied a warranty claim on other such trivial stuff. Could just be my dealer though...

I wish you luck.

No, I do not own any stock...

lp

Last edited by lp; 10-26-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Oil Cooler Paint, Defect.