Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle deaths jump

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy02FLHT
I can give you the answer in two words...crotch rockets. In Atlanta we're scraping about one a week off the wall. They get out on 285, I-75, I-85 and wind 'em up to about 180mph just for fun then they're surprised when physics moves em over about 3 lanes in a curve into the back of a semi. Not saying ALL wrecks are these types of bikes but I would love to see the stats. Pretty rare we have a fatality on a cruiser type bike that's not either alcohol related or caused by another motorist....the crotch rockets is generally a self-serve death
No kidding - There really should be some sort of hp limit based on age and experience. I believe they've been doing this in Europe. On one of my favorite roads there's a stupid (IMO) speed limit and I've been pulled over more than once on that road but never ticketed. The last time the officer basically implied he only tickets rice burners but has to appear to be dealing everyone the same way. He said they just pull too many of them out of the ****** wire fences . . .

Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

And the answer is.....................all of the above.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

As hypocritical as it no doubt sounds I advise anyone who's thinking of getting their first bike not to. Those first - shall we say 15 years or so . . . Well let's be honest, it can happen to anyone but for sure experience really makes a difference - and I still feel that I've got more to learn after 36 years of motorized 2 wheeling.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't blame the crotch rockets, blame the mc training classes for those who ride on the things. I have owned one for a couple of years and they are great, until a cross wind suddenly hits all that plastic wind shielding and blows you into the stripped line or fog line. The faster you go the worse it is. Unlike the heavy Ultra that seems to be glued to the pavement when those sudden cross winds gust around it. The Ultra is very forgiving, the lightweight rice rockets aren't.

I think rice rockets are exilarating fun, but terribly uncomfortable and subject to crosswind hazzards and riders should be taught this. It would be a dam shame if they were banned.

Around here it is those grey haired grannies and grandpa's you need to watch out for. They will turn left in front of you, or suddenly start at stop lights and plow into anything infront of them. We just had one plow thru the front of a main street business he had parked in front of. He claimed when he started the car and put it in gear to back out, it jumped in forward and went full throttle. Yeah, sure! They can't see, have no reflexes, and should be confined to certain travel routes only, not the main ways..

Old 10-25-2009, 05:53 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you ever rode with someone in a car and said to yourself, "he would never last long on a motorcyle", then hear he just purchased one?

Had a boss once that I did not feel save with while rideing with him driving a car, then he got a pilot's licence and he wanted to fly me long distances so I could more quickly repair our customer's computers. Left that company and started my own.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Shed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over here in Australia the Stats showed most of the deaths were for riders 40 -55 returning to riding.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:00 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, thank goodness we all know that 87.44% of statistics are made-up on the spot!

Probability formulas can help illustrate much of the data...but something tells me that this may not be the place to get into such things...just sayin' :^)

Be the best rider you can be...and learn something new at every opportunity.

I think the first thing we all learn (25 years ago in my case) - "ride strictly as if nobody sees you...ever" - is probably the most critical thing to remember. Yeah, skill and experience is fundamental...but just that basic tenet goes a long way IMHO...and I know we all live by it for the most part.

Have fun...

Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgnden
- "ride strictly as if nobody sees you...ever".
True enough - after that do everything you can to be seen. I pretty much like to ride down the middle of the road close to the center line. It amazes me to see some bikers riding a foot off the curb.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

So true, Dave...get in their mirrors for sure. Plus maybe they could text about us to their BFF #$*(#...!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there are hundreds of factors, many unknown, that make riding motorcycles more dangerous every day. Example, I think there is an "unintended consequence" of making the stop light's length of time last longer now for better traffic efficiancy. It is causeing more people to dangerously run lights rather then be delayed longer, as everyone seems to be in a bigger hurry every day. Other then possibly helmets, ABS and driving schools, I'm having trouble coming up with anything else that is helping to counteract this trend.

Quick Reply: motorcycle deaths jump