Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New garage door/gate opener from Biketronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1of2
A couple things.
First. Your button will only work with YOUR brand GDO. Theirs will work with all of them. That is the big reason for the receiver.
And it makes my point, that being that I only need something to work with MY receiver. I don't need it to work with "all of them".

Second, being hooked to the lighting wiring on the bike you can leave your bike outside without worrying about someone opening your garage. It won't work unless the key is on. With yours you either have to carry that thing everywhere you go or leave it on the bike and risk someone stealing it and having access to your garage.
Worthless. I DO "carry that thing" everywhere I go, and it's not a big deal. It's not where anyone can "steal" it - I NEVER leave my bike outside at home, mostly because I don't want to have to deal with the tree sap that happens if anything's parked under them. But the point here is that that I live on a gated and fenced property, and anyone I don't know wandering around on the property is living dangerously.

When I'm parked away from home, the transmitter is secure. Even in the highly unlikely event that anyone did succeed in acquiring it, there's no identifying information, and they wouldn't know where to go to use it to get into my place. Obviously, if that DID happen, I'd know it, and I'd just change the code, and we're off to the races again. What's the problem?

Once these units (or the HD unit) is on it is completely transparent and works like a charm. It is one of the best upgrades you can buy for your bike IMO.
I'm sure it does, it ought to, for the price, but no one's convinced me that my garage door openers I take with me on both my bikes are any security risk, and likewise, this contraption will do anything they won't.

Last edited by racklefratz; 10-24-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to program it with your opener? I boogered up the learn button on my opener, so now I can't program any remotes.

Also, is the signal strong enough to mount it some where out of sight on a Road King?

Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

WOW,just getting off your bike and opening your garage door???how do you spell YUPPIE,man,times have changed
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 PM
jetspeed8
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Count me in if we can get a reasonable price for a group buy.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:21 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I would get it too on the group buy

Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys,

I will have some info for you on Monday. I will see how much I can possibly grind Biketronics down in order to pass on the savings to all of you.

I will be in touch!

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 10-24-2009, 06:52 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
I haven't a clue what that means. I buy a gate opener transmitter, I set the DIP switches to match what my opener is set to, and I'm good to go. The "learning remote compatible" business isn't something I've ever had to deal with, and I've been doing this stuff for a lot of years.
Well thats great if you have a older type opener that still use dip spitches. None of the last 4 openers I have had still used this technology. Most if not all current openers use rolling code technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_door_opener

Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Well thats great if you have a older type opener that still use dip spitches. None of the last 4 openers I have had still used this technology. Most if not all current openers use rolling code technology.
Yes, to hell with "Wikipedia", mine are "older type opener that still use dip "spithes"". They work very well, amazingly enough, and we don't get those "homies" they talk about, roaming the "hood" with their code scanners, ripping off everybody's opener codes. Fancy that. And I'd speculate that a huge percentage of openers currently in use across the country are STILL using that "older" technology.

We don't tear all our "older technology" stuff out whenever anything newer comes out. You won't either.

Last edited by racklefratz; 10-24-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
Yes, to hell with "Wikipedia", mine are "older type opener that still use dip "spithes"". They work very well, amazingly enough, and we don't get those "homies" they talk about, roaming the "hood" with their code scanners, ripping off everybody's opener codes. Fancy that. And I'd speculate that a huge percentage of openers currently in use across the country are STILL using that "older" technology.

We don't tear all our "older technology" stuff out whenever anything newer comes out. You won't either.
It's actually the older dip switch single frequency codes that the "homies" are stealing. The rolling code ones cannot [to my knowledge] be stolen. Its the whole point of the rolling code. You have to program the receiver to accept the code and algorithm it skips around with. Dip switches...not so much.

No doubt your older technology works fine though and that makes us very happy.

lp

Last edited by lp; 10-24-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Do you have to program it with your opener? I boogered up the learn button on my opener, so now I can't program any remotes.

Also, is the signal strong enough to mount it some where out of sight on a Road King?
I don't think so. That's the point of the separate receiver. I think you wire it directly to the opener unit and their transmitter mates to it.

Signal should be plenty strong to mount inside the nacelle, behind a side cover, or under the seat. I'm sure someone more educated than I on the "newer type openers" will chime in if I'm wrong....

Quick Reply: New garage door/gate opener from Biketronics