Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska

Okay guys I have just got the green light from wife to do the Hoka Hey Challenge, race from Key West to Homer Alaska. I am asking for your help and input here in the Touring section, looking for advice on what to bring, riding strategy, how to set up the Ultra mechanically for this run, maps, reading material, gear (will be sleeping next to bike)etc etc.

I dont think I will win it but will do teh ride with the intention of finishing in the top 50 - 100. I ride about 15 - 20k per year and have done more than a few 900 + mile runs in a day, could have done more miles but never had a destination further than that. I will carry a 45 across the states but need someone to hold the weapon for me while I head into Canada(wherever that might be).

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://www.hokaheychallenge.com/index.html

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 AM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your a better man then I am. Good luck....

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck! Post a note after the adventure with some reflections.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never heard of this before. Sounds like a GREAT adventure. Keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,832 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I'm usually IN for something like this but the entry fee is 1000 bucks. If you don't plan to win I kinda have a hard time paying someone else for nothing so I can then pay my own way all the way to Alaska and back all the while haulin *** and not enjoying the sights along the way. You can do that on your own and save 1K. I do understand why you'd want to actually enter though... Nice to be part of it. Not bashing ya.

How about I go down there with you and you and I ride our bikes to Alaska without actually entering the race? I've been wanting to do this ride for years. FL to AK that is...

No matter what you do..good luck to you and stay safe if you do enter.

lp

Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'm usually IN for something like this but the entry fee is 1000 bucks. If you don't plan to win I kinda have a hard time paying someone else for nothing so I can then pay my own way all the way to Alaska and back all the while haulin *** and not enjoying the sights along the way. You can do that on your own and save 1K. I do understand why you'd want to actually enter though... Nice to be part of it. Not bashing ya.

+1 on this, 1000 bucks is way steep, hell i'd just show up and tag along for free, what are they gonna say "ya can't follow us"? but i do understand how cool it would be to do that. deffinetly good stuff if you attempt it. not sure if yr just takin highways or what? (seems like ya would to make time). if yr up for lunch in the tampa area when the time comes i could meet ya at some exit on the highway grab a bit and ride with ya for an hour or two, keep ya company. let me know

Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You asked for ideas and advice, so here's ten of my thoughts:

1. Don't pay $1,000. Simply do the ride, and use the grand for stuff for the bike, trip, and taking your wife out for a nice dinner.

2. Do the ride with a friend. That's a lot of miles, and it's nice to have a buddy along in case of breakdowns, security, or accidents.

3. Register on the Iron Butt website. If you can do 900+ miles in a day, do 1,000 miles in a day (documented) and become part of the certified "elite" club.

4. Have a very good tool set with you. Plan for all contingencies (flat tires, needing all sizes of Torx tools, etc).

5. Take every kind of hot/cold gear you can think of. You'll need it.

6. Take the HD atlas with you, so you can easily find locations and phone numbers of dealers in case of mechanical issues.

7. Take a small laptop with you (like the Acer Aspire One). Great for getting online at the motels, and will give you some recreation after a long day's ride. People here will gladly follow you on your trip if you give updates along the way and back.

8. Take a camera. You'll see things along the way that you'll want to capture forever and show people.

9. Get some Underarmor clothing, espcially their undershorts. You'll be able to ride longer, in more comfort.

10. Have fun, be safe, and don't take chances. This is a ride of a lifetime...enjoy it.

Bonus thought: Try to establish some HDF members to connect with along the way. You'll get some good hot dinners, have some great refreshments, and make friends for life. If you come through Indiana, let me know. Wife cooks a mean dinner, always have ice cold beer ready to share, and we have an extra bed for non-crazy drop-ins

Last edited by mastery; 10-24-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,832 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I was just talking to my wife about this...lol She's all like DO IT!!!

So if I did enter I would plan to Win. I believe the winning equation comes down to simple math. Basically, how fast, how long can you go.

I see the race progressing something like this:
Getting each the route from the officials.
Always going 10+ over eyeballing for cops.
Plugging in gas stops in a GPS [while your driving].
Eating and drinking what you carry [while your driving].
Poopin and peeing your pants [while your driving].
Basically never sleeping.

You could maybe win this way...

All said, my chances of winning are slim. I know plenty of guys that can drive for days without sleeping. I imagine more than a couple of those guys will enter this race. So doom on me/us.

Would be cool to be sponsored though. Probably could do that without any trouble. Your local dealership would prob do it just to get the advertising. Never know...

lp

Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a friend about this the other day.

The first thing that came to mind was a jar of Ibuprofen

Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I would LOVE to make that ride, but I would want to take at least two months do it in.................... Best of luck to ya , and stay safe out there!

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska