Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
you guys are sooo stupid. this is his wish to do and the $1000 covers his safety the whole way and a truck trip back to the sturgis if he wishes. dont be an *** if "YOU" cant afford and he can. why not support him and his wish and adventure??"? god you guys **** me off at time. i am a friend of his and fully support him in the venture.
master i dont have any true advise for you but practice and comfort is the #1 thing.
new tires
fluid changes
check your seat make sure its "right"
tools (which i know you have)
and support (which i know you have)
Are you serious? People are just pointing out that 1000 bucks is kinda large for them at the moment and mostly "GOOD LUCK" with your ride.
Most folks were supporting him. The only *** I detected is you...

Sheesh man, chill.

lp

Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
DerVollender
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my application for the ride filled out. And will also be running the challange. And as far as I am concerned about the entry fee. Is that he money is going to some really good cuases. And it is going to be a hell of a cool ride.

Mitch

Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Are you serious? People are just pointing out that 1000 bucks is kinda large for them at the moment and mostly "GOOD LUCK" with your ride.
Most folks were supporting him. The only *** I detected is you...

Sheesh man, chill.

lp
reread everything man, they are mostly badgering him for spending that kind of money.
its his choice but every dick and john here have to be so damn synacole on everything some one does, it just gets old after awhile.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Half a million in Alaskan gold for the winner..I get a kick out of the statement there is no second place in a warrior society. I guess that means there is no classes of different Harleys. It is basicly a one winner takes all. I would rather spin the 1000.00 and take my favorite riding partner on a trip to Alaska and take my time and enjoy the trip. Not for me. Hell I can't do more than 500 miles on a good day, much less 600-1000 miles a day for a week or more. Reading the rules was informative. Kinda like a treasure hunt, you don't know the next days route until you get to the check point each day.

Joe

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Exactly Mitch

Originally Posted by DerVollender
I have my application for the ride filled out. And will also be running the challange. And as far as I am concerned about the entry fee. Is that he money is going to some really good cuases. And it is going to be a hell of a cool ride.

Mitch
Thanks BDM, guys the money is large for me and will have family meet me up there when I get there, I doubt I will win but I will be in the top 50 - 100 riders. In 2 years when all the kids are gone I will do similar ride with wife but probably across the south US to west coast then up to Prince Rupert, been there like the area, then across the top of Canada and US then down East Coast hills, Smokies, to Fla.

I am also raising some other charity money on the side for local Fla children charities. So its not all about me enjoying the ride and competition but also for a good cause.

Thanks to those with suggestions I am making a log and will start gearing up soon. I have thought about the money involved but think I need to do this now before I get too old and decrepid to do it, might be physically unable when I am retired with plenty of cash on hand, just hedging my bets here. Sky Diving is coming up soon too, that will cost me about $1000 also, that should knock out the last few items on my bucket lists, unless I get some more ideas.

I appreciate the advice and tips please keep them coming.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 AM
txflstc
Novice

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I appreciate the advice and tips please keep them coming.
I just heard about this competition a couple of days ago and I talked to my wife about it. She's encouraged me to do it. I have been searching around the web for information about the challenge and trying to make sure it is legit. I haven't found anything bad yet. I am thinking about doing it as well.

My longest non-stop ride was about 1200 miles. I had to repeat that ride a few days later back home after I drank a beer and had a large lunch... talk about a hoka hey... it was almost.

1) Know your limitations and learn to recognize when you are fading mentally. I was screaming down the highway in Lousianna in the middle of the night dozing off. It was by the grace of God that I woke up. I was pushing 75-80 mph and having wierd visions.

2) Learn to position your butt. The main pain I had was my butt. I could move around most of my body and feel fine, but my butt was killing me by the end of that ride. I used my rear pegs and highway bars to change the pressure on my butt.

3) Keep yourself saturated. Don't be pissing/pooping your pants to save time. Your crotch will be so FU'd when you get there you will be in the hospital. Pace yourself through out the ride. Ride-stop-gas-pee/poop-ride. You will need the little breaks along the way. If you push it too hard and NOT rest you will get stupid and make mistakes. Pace yourself and stay sharp.

4) How much sleep do you need per day? Find out and use that as part of your riding formula.

5) Don't push your gas until you hit reserve. Plan ahead for your gas stops. When you get to 150 miles on your trip meter, start looking. When you are in desolate areas gas up often. THere are some roads that don't have any gas for over a hundred miles.

6) Keep your mind working... always thinking. Maybe bring an MP3 player to keep you jacked up when you stop for gas. Be on constant alert and look for danger. This will help you stay awake and alive.

7) Bring a sleeping bag or warm blanket and maybe a tent. You will need it. You will not ride all day everyday until you get there and when you do stop and the temperature is around 0, you will be glad you brought them.

The event is not going to be a ***** to the wall race to Homer. It's back roads, mountains, deserts, swamp, and who knows what else. If you are running ***** out your average speed will probably be about 35. That's 200 hours of riding in extreme elements. If you sleep four hours a day that puts you in Homer in 10 days.

Last edited by txflstc; 10-26-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do people ride in groups during this ride?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Reference the .45. Surely you can line up some folks on here to leave it with. It should be possible to pick the possible places where you enter Canada and line up several different people in different locations. You might have to chance it though. One of the guys said you won't need it! Most likely true, BUT, the first thing that popped into my mind is ol' Murrphy! That is probably what those people at Luby's thought that time also! (also all those folks at other places where similar events occurred.) I wouldn't worry about the event people finding it. I would not take a chance with Canada however. Sounds like a great thing to do.............GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Is this run actually legitimate? I'm not saying it's not, but I've never heard of it. It WOULD be a great way to collect and take off with a goodly amount of money if a person was less than honest.

I did a google search and only got one hit, and that was the home page of the organizers.

If it actually is ligit and ends up happening, I wish a safe ride to all of the participants!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd sure be taking my Gerbings gear! Some small things that don't take up much space are: eye drops, chap-stick, gum, hard candy for a quick energy boost, and a partial roll of toilet paper...

Enjoy yer trip!

Oh yea, change the batteries in the key fobs.

Last edited by Olde Skool; 10-26-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska