Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
I would LOVE to make that ride, but I would want to take at least two months do it in.................... Best of luck to ya , and stay safe out there!
"Two months" ???? I need roller skates to keep up with you. LOL

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as the race goes. Good luck, ride safe and have some fun. At least you can enjoy the ride home at a leasurely pace.

FYI: The only way to win is, to do Meth and I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
hoosierbagman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Bead Rider website there is a link to a story by an Iron Butt rider who made this trip in 4 or 5 DAYS(!) IIRC. Interesting story.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'm usually IN for something like this but the entry fee is 1000 bucks. If you don't plan to win I kinda have a hard time paying someone else for nothing so I can then pay my own way all the way to Alaska and back all the while haulin *** and not enjoying the sights along the way. You can do that on your own and save 1K. I do understand why you'd want to actually enter though... Nice to be part of it. Not bashing ya.

How about I go down there with you and you and I ride our bikes to Alaska without actually entering the race? I've been wanting to do this ride for years. FL to AK that is...

No matter what you do..good luck to you and stay safe if you do enter.

lp
I couldn't agree more. Unless you really feel you are competitive and able to win, why flush the $1K down the drain...for a T-shirt? I'd go on my own, and spend the $1K on food, fuel, lodging, or the inevitable tire change(s).

Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Plan expected service events and unexpected. There's vast stretches of road in Canada without a dealer (or competent mechanic) for hundreds of miles! Check with a dealer if you're relying on them doing an oil change for you - make sure they're open and that you will be fit in. I don't want to start a war here but I suggest synthetic oil.

There are stretches where you need to know where to gas up again 150 plus miles between gas stations. What's in your emergency kit? -( a way to fix a flat, Change a broken belt). Bring a decent first aid kit - know how to do a field dressing (I'm not kidding - had to do one myself after an incident in Alaska).

Leave the 45 home - the only place you might need it is north of the 49th parallel - and then you need more than a 45 (if you want to slow down a bear). I suggest motels versus camping (less bear, more sleep!).

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like fun actually....

Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
kelinsky1
Advanced

That would shure be a great story for the grand-kids.
I'm more of the 'looky-lo' type rider myself tho.

Wish you all the luck and most importantly...be safe.

After thought: This is kinda late in the year for a run to Alaska isn't it? Might need tire chains.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:05 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser

This sounds like it will be like " Bull Run". Will probably have different places where you will have to stop and check in and do certain tasks, etc., so they can weed out the weak and create some character flair for the show, before they give you the next route and check point, so very little advanced planning will work. I'm also sure there will be a no weapons policy, since this is a reality type show. It will not be a simple race to the finish line, as that is just too easy! Good luck to all who enter.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know - I'd give this serious thought if I didn't live so damned close to Alaska (relatively) in the first place!!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I know a G is a lot right now but I made my dumass mind up already, I am a little hard headed hehe.

Would like more advice on equipment and mechanicals as well as roads and conditions in the great white north that I have to be aware of.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the ride. I looked at it a little while back and it sounds like an interesting event to be in. The $$$ and time off work are enough to keep me at home but part of me would still like to do it.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey - Fla to Alaska