Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
goosehead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpendleton
Subscribe. I have a 09 Road King Classic and would like to move the license plate under the light bar. However, not sure what to do about the 3 holes left behind by the LP bracket. If anyone has done such a conversion and is there a good resolution for the 3 holes, I would live to see pics and part numbers. Thanks!
I feel the same way but I'm not 100% sure that the tag will fit without hitting the chrome fender tip. Have you looked and measured?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 AM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Pretty much right on the money. However, (and I have the book also) the 68742-09 does is NOT the one used for the FLHTC nor the FLHTCU. There is a typo (sort of) in the parts catalog. The part number for Road King Classic, Electra Glide Classic and Ultra Classic is 68510-74C, which has NO tag light and is the wider of the two brackets for the pancake style signals. Look on page 118, item number 21 and you'll see the difference. And, if you know your bikes, you'll easily spot H-D's typo in the fitment of models designation. Perhaps not really a typo per se', but you need to read within the "( )" where it will say HDI or domestic.

I made this swap from the regular Ultra style license/signal bracket to the FLHT/FLHR style. It IS narrower by about an inch or so. I like it better. Something to take note of; if you have a rear fender tip lamp like an Ultra (I do), the socket that powers the tag lamp is the one that powers the fender tip light. Which means, until you make some appropriate mod, you loose the fender tip lamp. I'll be buying that latest lamp from H-D that makes the fender tip lamp a run/brake lamp and when it arrives I'll be able to comment on what it takes to run that properly. For now it's just unplugged. It's a very easy swap. Hell, I did it!

For those interested, the H-D parts model breakdown;
FB = FLHR
FC = FLHTCU
FF = FLHTC
FR = FLHRC
FS = FLTR
FV = FLHT
KB = FLHX

With that, the following domestic fitment is;

68510-74C fits FC, FF & FR
68742-09 fits FB & FV

Lastly, in case it's not painfully obvious, you'll need a different tail light lens, one without the clear spot on top. The one you'll need is from a Street Glide, Road King, Road Glide or Electra Glide Standard. Hope this helps!
Da Butcher: thanks for all of the numbers and research. So you're talking about the same turn signal bar that's used on the standard and rk? The reason that I ask is that I have the 09 Classic, and the dealer told me that that bar would fit, of course, but that there would be clearance issues with the fender tip light and plate. This was the set up that I wanted, but let it go with the bad news from the dealer. Did you find enough clearance? Any pics of the change? Many thanks for your time.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by miandsh2000
Ultra89rider,
what did you ever do with your bullet take-offs? i may be interested in seeing if they work for me. ive got an 03 heritage and looking to replace my popsicles.
I sold them to a friend with a 1995 Softail. He paid me to modify his wiring harness (because it changed in 1996) and move his license plate below the tail light. It really cleaned up the rear of his Softail

Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed. thx

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Evening Gents, though I've been very busy lately, a few people have PM'd me about the fit of the assembly and whether or not it interferes with the fender lamp. Nope, it sure doesn't. Whatever dealers are telling you it won't fit obviously haven't tried it. The pics aren't the greatest, sorry about that. But, I had to post something because so many asked and it would be rude if I didn't try , right? So, out to the garage with lousy lighting and snap away as one might say. Don't let the angel of my pics throw you off if you happen to notice the license late bolts. They are not hitting, nor are they too close. It's just the angle that I shot the photo. No extra holes to drill, nothing weird. The only noteworthy item is that the socket that powered your fender light is now the one that will power your license plate light. Which means you unplug your fender light until you re-wire something (method of your choosing depending on your needs and preferences) so that both can plug into that one socket. Your original brake light lens has that clear area on top to illuminate your tag, so the lens you'll use is an OE FLHX/FLTR style. Other than that it's easy. On a more trivial note, the new assembly is a bit narrower than the Ultra set-up. Maintains the OE pancake signal look, but slims it down a bit and I feel it actually looks better.

I hope the pics of are some use. Once the bike is "finished" I'll be posting pics and you'll be able to see everything much better. Should be just a few more weeks.

p.s. if you buy the parts from H-D to do the swap, it's not cheap! $$$$$$$

Attached Thumbnails Rear Turn Signal Bar-dscn0932.jpg   Rear Turn Signal Bar-dscn0934.jpg   Rear Turn Signal Bar-dscn0935.jpg   Rear Turn Signal Bar-dscn0936.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 AM
ftzoid
Tourer

Evening Gents, though I've been very busy lately, a few people have PM'd me about the fit of the assembly and whether or not it interferes with the fender lamp. Nope, it sure doesn't. Whatever dealers are telling you it won't fit obviously haven't tried it. The pics aren't the greatest, sorry about that. But, I had to post something because so many asked and it would be rude if I didn't try , right? So, out to the garage with lousy lighting and snap away as one might say. Don't let the angel of my pics throw you off if you happen to notice the license late bolts. They are not hitting, nor are they too close. It's just the angle that I shot the photo. No extra holes to drill, nothing weird. The only noteworthy item is that the socket that powered your fender light is now the one that will power your license plate light. Which means you unplug your fender light until you re-wire something (method of your choosing depending on your needs and preferences) so that both can plug into that one socket. Your original brake light lens has that clear area on top to illuminate your tag, so the lens you'll use is an OE FLHX/FLTR style. Other than that it's easy. On a more trivial note, the new assembly is a bit narrower than the Ultra set-up. Maintains the OE pancake signal look, but slims it down a bit and I feel it actually looks better.

I hope the pics of are some use. Once the bike is "finished" I'll be posting pics and you'll be able to see everything much better. Should be just a few more weeks.

Many thanks for your time, Dave. I'm sure we're all looking forward to pics of your fine ride when finished.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you very much. looks great! can you reiterate the part numbers as it got confusing a few threads back.

tin

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dansflhti
Yeah,it seems to be a rare piece,but the Road King and the EG Standard both have it.When I remove my tour pac I want to put my plate below my tail-light,and this is a nice looking bar,but it is a tad narrower than the stock EGC bar.
I have the narrow bar on my Ultra. I like it much better than the stock one. Here is a pic.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For those that have done this, how did you get power to the fender tip light?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by IAMSWUTIAMS; 05-17-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: don't want to appear contentious

Quick Reply: Rear Turn Signal Bar