Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are slip-on exhaust pipes interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 01:21 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
|
Tourer
Default Are slip-on exhaust pipes interchangeable?

I have a set of slip-ons on my bike...not sure but I think Rush brand. The bike runs great and sounds OK. I bought my bike used from original owner, and have lost touch. I am pretty positive that no major motor work has been done but possibly an air filter and these pipes and maybe a download. My question is....can I just buy a different set of slip on exhaust pipes and expect the bike to run as it does now or will it change the way the bike runs with different brand of exhaust pipes?

Old 10-22-2009 | 01:53 PM
mjb765
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chrome Sweet Chrome
I have a set of slip-ons on my bike...not sure but I think Rush brand. The bike runs great and sounds OK. I bought my bike used from original owner, and have lost touch. I am pretty positive that no major motor work has been done but possibly an air filter and these pipes and maybe a download. My question is....can I just buy a different set of slip on exhaust pipes and expect the bike to run as it does now or will it change the way the bike runs with different brand of exhaust pipes?
If the slip-ons are the same diameter and roughly the same style (as in 1 with a complete baffle compared to another with almost no baffle) the bike should run close to the same. If the mufflers are completely different you may want to thow it up on a dyno and see if the levels are acceptable or will you have to add a tuner.

Old 10-22-2009 | 02:37 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chrome Sweet Chrome
If you're just staying with a different type of muffled slip ons, the change in back-pressure shouldn't need a different download. If you went from a highly baffled slip on to straight pipes, then maybe so (download change)...When I was playing around with the exhaust on the RK, a change from Bassani to Screamin Eagle slip ons didn't make too much difference in performance. The Bassani had a bit less back pressure and would pop on decel a bit more than the SE slips.

Old 10-22-2009 | 04:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Probably won't make any difference changing only the muffs.