Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Automatic Chain Tensioner problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:54 PM
SteveO
|
Road Master
Default HD Automatic Chain Tensioner problems

Installed the HD auto chain tensioner about 5000 miles ago and appears to have major wearing problems.

The chain is very tight, absoutlely no slack and I have a bad whine at low speeds. I have noticed premature chain wear.

The "no slack" in the chain is a concern, and I assume this may be causing the whine and the excessive wear.

Is anynoe else having this problem? Seems to be a poor design.

Steve

Old 07-03-2006 | 01:14 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Default RE: HD Automatic Chain Tensioner problems

Change it as soon as you can! It's a really poor design, and is causing some serious problems in the 06 Dynas. A buddy of mine bought a new Street Bob. He brought it to me to service it. I took it out for a ride to get everything hot. When I brought it back, the primary cover was too hot to even touch, and the primary oil was hotter than the motor oil. Like you mentioned, the chain was way too tight. I told him he would probably have trouble out of it later on down the road. "Later" ended up coming sooner and it pretty much exploded on him. His bike is back at H-D going round and round about it now. His is not the only one I've heard of having problems, but the only one I know for sure, and I should know. I hauled him in.

Old 07-03-2006 | 01:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I installed one about a month ago and am not having any trouble, quite the contrary. For another reason, I removed my outer primary cover about two weeks later and checked out the setup, noticing the chain was tauter, but I wouldn't say it was too tight. Slack was about 1/2" and the spring loading is in effect in both directions. I thought tension was in one direction, but that is not the case. Oil was not hot, and I saw nothing to be alarmed about. FWIW, whining is normal for this tensioner, and mine emits a faint whine that I only notice at slow speeds.

I'll leave it in and check it out at the end of the summer before taking a Fall trip. Shifting is smoother, quieter, and neutral is easier to find.

Old 07-03-2006 | 02:11 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

The problem with the 06 Dynas is that they can't be converted back to the old style tensioner. When I purchased the wife's Streetbob back in March I could see what was going to happen once the chain started to stretch,it would ratchet itself up on the loose section then become overtight with the rest of the chain. I removed the tensioner and reengineered it so the tensioner is manual adjust only.

ORIGINAL: dhutchison

Change it as soon as you can! It's a really poor design, and is causing some serious problems in the 06 Dynas. A buddy of mine bought a new Street Bob. He brought it to me to service it. I took it out for a ride to get everything hot. When I brought it back, the primary cover was too hot to even touch, and the primary oil was hotter than the motor oil. Like you mentioned, the chain was way too tight. I told him he would probably have trouble out of it later on down the road. "Later" ended up coming sooner and it pretty much exploded on him. His bike is back at H-D going round and round about it now. His is not the only one I've heard of having problems, but the only one I know for sure, and I should know. I hauled him in.

Old 07-03-2006 | 02:28 PM
TKanaley
Cruiser

I had one installed on my 1000 mile service and 1500 miles later, I pulled the primary cover (and the auto tensioner) and reinstalled the original. Mine made an anoying loud whine right from the get go, which I didn't think was right, but HD service told me was normal. The thing that bothered me most is that tensioner racheted itself up to where there was only 1/4 to 3/8" chain freeplay, cold and that to me is way too tight! Again, HD service told me that was normal and I should ride with confidence.