Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander or Race Tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Commander or Race Tuner???

Can someone explain to me in dummy terms the difference in a race tuner and a power commander type system? I know the Power Commander type tuner stays mounted on the bike but I dont understand the differences. I know there is lots of info on here about this topic but most of it is greek to me. Until now everything i've had has been stock. Also your opinion on which is the best way to go will be appreciated.

If it makes a difference i have the SE Ventilator Air Cleaner. Rinehart Mufflers....not sure on the exhaust but it will either be V&H Dresser Duals or the Jackpot 2-1-2.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll take a shot at it:
SERT is made by HD and is a computer link that allows one to access the ECM (brain of your bike) with a computer.
The Power Commander is a piggy-back unit that modifies the ECM in much the same manner except it stays on the bike. Either unit is only as good as the person programming it and there are arguably many more capable PC techs than there are for SERT.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
abate1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SERT is like downloading a program into your computer, PC is like plugging in a seperate item to your computer via a USB port. Both adjust your fuel, timing but like said in leftcoasters post both are only as good as the tuner. My vote goes for PC, if anything everygoes wrong you can unplug and get home JMHO

Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These other guys are on it, plus IMO one of the biggest things is if you make changes to the bike later on, good tuners like Jamie at Fuelmoto will send you updated maps at no charge. If I am not mistaken, even with the SERT, you will have to go back to HD and have them do it, I bet they will charge you.....

Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't know what year your bike is but most of the Power Commanders remove the O2 sensors on those bikes equipped with them so they are not able to "read " how your bike is running. The new Power Commander with autotune uses O2 sensors but i do not know if you can use your existing O2 sensors if you bike is equipped with them or if you have to buy new ones from them.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Hold up, now.... The sert can turn off the 02 sensors. Once they are off, they can be removed. If you have a good dyno tuner in your area or are willing to buy a Twin Scan II+ and make your own maps, the sert would be the best option. For people like me without any good tuners (also don't think the Twin Scan would work with the new Super Tuner) the best option is a piggy back device.

Chris

Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

There is a difference between can remove and have to remove, that's what I was pointing out. I was not knocking the Dynojet Power Commander at all.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Rivco race fueler,SERT,F-M PCV ..BY far the best is PCV then R/F then SERT...

Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by mccollde
Can someone explain to me in dummy terms the difference in a race tuner and a power commander type system? I know the Power Commander type tuner stays mounted on the bike but I dont understand the differences. I know there is lots of info on here about this topic but most of it is greek to me. Until now everything i've had has been stock. Also your opinion on which is the best way to go will be appreciated.

If it makes a difference i have the SE Ventilator Air Cleaner. Rinehart Mufflers....not sure on the exhaust but it will either be V&H Dresser Duals or the Jackpot 2-1-2.

Thanks.
FYI, just for accuracy, there is no longer any tuning software referred to as SERT or Race Tuner. Harley now refers to their tuner as the Pro SuperTuner. The SERT or RaceTuner is their older product.

I have both. The SERT on my FI 2003 Fatboy and the SuperTuner on my 2010 SE Ultra.

Until very recently, I would have suggested staying away from the Pro SuperTuner. However if you have interest in tweaking your bike yourself either after a dyno tune (due to an exhaust change for example) or without ever doing a dyno tune, the SuperTuner has some very neat capabilities that I am only begining to explore on my 2010 SE Ultra.

The Pro ST has a VCI or ECU recorder that you can activate, store in a saddlebag (it's the size of a cigarette pack) and use to store the performance of your bike. After saving a few rides, you can then download the engine performance file back to your laptop. Once the file is back on the laptop you can run SmartTune to generate recommended changes to your existing ECU MAP. You can then save the updated map with the SmartTune changes back to your bike and check out the improvements from the saddle.

The improvements on my bike were actually quite good and I'm now beginning to like the SuperTuner as I learn more about it.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The SERT or the TTS are far more tunable than the PC. I didnt say easier.

Quick Reply: Power Commander or Race Tuner???