Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that do ocasionally trailer your bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 AM
hounddog1257
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those that do ocasionally trailer your bike

I have a 2009 RG and since the winters here in Nebraska arent that friendly and i do have the need to be able to transport my scoot from time to time for work being done on it or headed to a warmer place to ride, i need a enclosed trailer. Those of you that do trailer your scoot what size trailer would you suggest?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser

6x10 single axle. Big enough for the bike with room to spare, but small enough to be easily moved around and towed with a smaller truck without problems. If you stagger, maybe could get two in it, also. I've had 3 bikes in mine, though 1 was a streetbike and 2 were dirt bikes.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
ridingslow
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer and that is as small as I would go. Enclosed is the way to go for many reasons. If you are going to haul more than one bike you are going to have to go wider.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 5 x 10 with a ramp and side door that works perfectly with my 08UC. I wanted to go small as possible for easy storage and tow. I may have even been able to use a 5 x 8 but wanted some room for a little stuff with the bike.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is an 8x16 and holds four bikes plus gear easily. It wide enough to hold two EG's side by side. I recommend getting the largest trailer your budget will allow - more room is always better.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
hounddog1257
Tourer

I would love a larger trailer BUT i dont really need one and dont want to be the guy that everyone wants to "borrow" my trailer since it is bigger. I would think 2 bikes max would be plenty. Do you think a 6x10 would get 2 in there? Not to mention i really dont want to store a huge trailer for the occasional use.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser

2 large cruisers have been hauled in my trailer (I let someone borrow it, I think they had 2 VTX 1800s). My track bike has 36" wide bars and I have hauled it with a sport tourer. I have not hauled the Road Glide, so I can't speak from experience on it yet. But I believe if you stagger your front wheel chocks, as I have done, you can get 2 bikes in. The additional length of the 10' long trailer makes it possible with space left over. Heck, I heard of guys getting 3 road kings in a long wheelbase Ford Van, but they removed windshields on all and bags on the middle bike. As easy as the bags are to remove on the newer bikes I don't see it as a problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
stick_hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6x12 tandem.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A 6x10 will be a tight squeeze for 2 EG's. Getting them loaded is where you'll have issues. You may get the bikes in but you have to get yourself in to tie them down. Go wider, like maybe an 8x10 or 8x12 - you'll be much happier.
FYI: nobody pulls my trailer but me but I've hauled bikes for my buds.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailer

I had a Haulmark EZ loader. 6X12 w/ side door. Tor-flex axels, beaver tail inside. Sat real low to the ground. The angle for loading was very flat because of the lack of leaf spring suspension so it made for very easy loading. It towed great. I used it for Daytona one year and towed a road king and my Wide Glide. Bikes were staggered. Two touring bikes will fit if you stagger them. Mine was a single axel. I have had another trailer with out the tor- flex axels and the attack angle for loading was much steaper and it made loading and unloading especially when the ramp got alittle damp dangerous. If I had to do it again I get the EZ loader again hands down. For single person loading those Condor chocks are great too. Roll or drive the bike in it and get off. Tie it down and go. Tha's the way I'd do it again. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: For those that do ocasionally trailer your bike