Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe I'm paranoid!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe I'm paranoid!

My new 06 Ultra has 528 miles on it. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid but it sounds like the valves are tapping at 40 to 50 MPH. This is my first Harley ( i'm a virgin ). I had a 03 Goldwing before this. When I am sitting at idle I don't hear any noise from the engine. Am I nuts? Also when I am at steady RPM, usually 1500, it feels like the engine is surging. Is that me also? 472 more miles for my 1000 mile check up.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maybe I'm paranoid!

If you are riding the bike at 1500 rpms, then it sure sounds like to me you a lugging the motor. STOP DOING THAT!!!!!!!! That motor is still freesh, and lugging the motor is not a good thing. I hardly ever run 1500 rpms and I have 4000 miles on.

Bob

Old 07-02-2006, 01:20 PM
lschultz
Road Master

This is a Harley not a Goldwing some things are different. Put some more miles on it. What gear are you in at this 1500 rpm? Are you running the high octane gasoline? Did the dealer do the Stage I on it or is it stock?

Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
mcman
Cruiser

Rick, I'm a Gold Wing rider also and just got my '06 Ultra. I think you need to put some miles on it before getting alarmed. As somebody said, what gear are you riding in with the engine turning 1500 RPM?? I am just nearing my 1K checkup also and I'm not hearing anything like you're describing. I'm going to do the 1K and ride. I am in love all over again after being off a H-D for 4 years. I'm keeping my Wing but this Ultra is, all things being considered, my real love.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
AR4CE
Cruiser

I have a 95" kit, race tuner, port/polish and SE slipons on my 06 SG, anbd I also have the paranoia about loud cams and valves at around 2-3k rpm. I'm trying to tell myself its normal, but I'm always worried.

When I bring it in for the 5k service, I'm going to ask.

Still runs awesome though.

-LT

Old 07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

DO NOT LUG THAT MOTOR

Did you hear me?

Old 07-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

I am in 1st gear at 1500 RPM's. Engine is completely stock. I am learning to keep the RPM's higher. Now I'm not riding around in 1st gear at 1500 I was in traffic one day when I noticed the 1500 rpm surge. I am still babying it some. As far as lugging the engine, when I was at driver training school in Chicago for UPS, we were always told that lugging an engine is when you apply fuel and get no response in rpm's or power. Lugging causes excessive heat and can damage the engine. It is better to have it at a higher rpm. Thank you for all the imput. Keep it coming.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

ive ridden all metric sportbikes (and a Road Star Warrior) for a LONG time. a few years ago- i was assigned to the motorcycle unit at work and began to ride HD's. the first thing i noticed was how loud the valves were. i thought that they were high-mileage wheels that were loose, very quiet pipes that allowed me to hear EVERYTHING going on in the motor or there was something wrong with whatever wheel i was riding (FXR's, FLHT's).

i was recently assigned an 05 Road King (work) and immediately took notice of the same exact noise as the older, higher mileage units.

i picked up my 06 Road King Classic a couple weeks ago and, once again noted how 'loud' the valve train was.

its just the way they sound... nothing wrong.

now that ive logged miles on my personal RKC (and with the addition of my mufflers) i dont even notice the sound anymore.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
AcidRayn
Banned

its just the nature of the beast.
you wanna really hear it?
wear ear plugs for , o, say 50 miles or so, then take them out!
you will think the thing is gonna fall apart. lol
just the nature of it man

Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
mcman
Cruiser

Completely off topic, ok?? No question too dumb, hah?? Here does. How do you post pictures on the forum, in the gallery and along with your posts?? I'm not computer illiterate but I swear I don't see how. Help!!! I want to put some pics of my new '06 Ultra on the forum as if anyone was interested inseeing yet another Ultra!!!

Quick Reply: Maybe I'm paranoid!