Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubbing metal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Default rubbing metal??

Well this just sucks, I have been having a issue where the tranny and the motor bolt together, there seems to be a oily substance that keeps coming up in the crack, I'll clean it off and after a 30 min. ride it's back [:@], took it to the dealer and they said that there's nothing they can do since there's no oil passage way through there, it's just where the two metal surface's are rubbing together causing a oily substance to appear, he said it happens to some of the bikes but since mine is a standard motor it just shows up more.
So I guess I'll have to live with wiping down the amazing metal substance forever, does anybody else have this problem, I've yet to find them if they have, all my freinds that have Standards do not have this issue, so if you do let me know.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rubbing metal??

Only guessing here, but could there be a GASKET between those 2 metal surfaces that are RUBBING togther?[>:]

Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

My question also, so the answer was no, I said nothing between there whatsoever, I mean nothing, he said no, I said then why does mine do it and no body else's does it to which he said that his brothers does it and he is also raising hell about it to, I don't know what to do except maybe call Harley and see what they say, what ya think.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a thought but the lower cases go together and have a seam/seal, that would leak oil. An old bike mechanic taught me a trick to find those had to locate leaks. Clean everything off real good with brake cleaner and when dry use baby powder, then start that puppy up. Found a cracked case like that once.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seam between the tranny and engine? Yeah, most all of 'em do it. Its just the product of 2 pieces of aluminum expanding and contracting, rubbing together and making a little ugly spot. Dealer is right ( for a change ) there is no oil there.

nogood o~`o

Old 07-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Yea that'a what he said to the tee, but if that's the case why do some do it and some don't, I guess it's just a matter of a few thousand of a inch clearence.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
websterdan
Tourer

My dyna does it sometimes and I have a friend with a Dyna, his always does it.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No such thing as metal to metal producing oil. The section between the engine and gear case is hollow with no oil. If you are getting a wet spot ontop of you cases where they bolt together you have a leak either from your engine or gearbox. The oil migrates along the castings until it finds a place to exit. Most of the leaks are engine related where the two crankcase halves are joined together are not sealed properly. It is more common in softails at a small opening at the base of the rear cylinder.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I would have to agree with Roadtrain,also there should be no rubbing if the assy is tight IMO.
Dont clean it off for a while and let it puddle to show the dealer.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 AM
alazlo
Road Master

Your cases are leaking oil.... they need to be split and resealed with yamabond. Harley does this under warranty. Had it done on my 0-4 SEEG before I sold it. The SEEG bikes had a serious problem with the cases leaking. It's pretty common on the TC-88 but a lot of the dealers don't like to mess with the warranty issues. They get 24 hours from you to split the cases. Harley only pays about half of that on warranty.

If you go to Synthetic oil it will get worse.

If your bike is under warranty you need to insist that the dealer repair it. If they blow you off find another dealer to do it. This is a great time to add big bore, cams, heads, chrome inner primary etc., as the labor is covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: rubbing metal??