Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubbing metal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rubbing metal??

OK guys,,,follow me.....I'm takin' yall to school........

The "Oily spot" that I beleive we are talking about is not oil at all. It is just a dark looking spot ( that some would say looks like an oily seam ) the problem is this.....it occurs where the enging meets the trans. If any of you out there have seen the area where they meet, YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS NO OIL THERE! Now, if you rub 2 pieces of aluminum together, what is the result?? A dark, almost oily looking substance. I surmise that the air cooled engine on our bikes expands MUCH quicker than the tranny case, which creates a minute amount of movement between those cases, thus, eventually causing that black stuff to appear. Bottom line...dont sweat it! Do like I do.....just spray a little S100 on that spot, and scrub it with a brush. It will stay gone for a little while....
AND RIDE IT!

nogood o~`o

Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep -- have it too...just wipe if off and no problems - -got 14K on my 2005 EGlide -- hasn't proven to be a problem yet..

well put wnogood!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wnogood

OK guys,,,follow me.....I'm takin' yall to school........

The "Oily spot" that I beleive we are talking about is not oil at all. It is just a dark looking spot ( that some would say looks like an oily seam ) the problem is this.....it occurs where the enging meets the trans. If any of you out there have seen the area where they meet, YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS NO OIL THERE! Now, if you rub 2 pieces of aluminum together, what is the result?? A dark, almost oily looking substance. I surmise that the air cooled engine on our bikes expands MUCH quicker than the tranny case, which creates a minute amount of movement between those cases, thus, eventually causing that black stuff to appear. Bottom line...dont sweat it! Do like I do.....just spray a little S100 on that spot, and scrub it with a brush. It will stay gone for a little while....
AND RIDE IT!nogood o~`o
You must work for one of the dealerships that don't like doing the warranty work. That's the line they normally use... WHY would Harley warranty a repair that entails total disassembly of the motor if the cases aren't leaking?. Some leak worse than others.. With some it's a spot that you can wipe off, no problem, but with some it becomes an issue that needs to be addresssed. When the leak gets big enoughyou'll see oil on the bottom of the motor where the cases meet.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wnogood is absolutely right...doubt he works for a dealer.,..if yours has oil then its just as roadtrain says and YOU have a leak thats migrating...just they way metal contracts and expands..nothing you can do about it but keep it clean

Old 07-04-2006, 05:07 PM
alazlo
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM wnogood is absolutely right...doubt he works for a dealer.,..if yours has oil then its just as roadtrain says and YOU have a leak thats migrating...just they way metal contracts and expands..nothing you can do about it but keep it clean
You understand that you have just said that two oposite opinions are both absolutely correct?

RODTRAIN: "Most of the leaks are engine related where the two crankcase halves (cases) are joined together are not sealed properly" (Which is what I have said). This problem should be corrected under warranty because it's expensive once the warranty runs out, and the leak will get worse.
&
wnogood: "The "Oily spot" that I beleive we are talking about is not oil at all, It is just a dark looking spot." (Which is incorrect! It is motor oil that has leaked from between the cases)

Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

wnogood is right, it doesn't seem like oil to me just a black or dark gray substance that keeps creeping in the crack, I can wipe it down and it's back within 50 miles,but like wnogood said it's metal to metal, I guess I'm glad to hear that my bike is not the only one that does it, but with that said, none of them should do it.
Let me also say that I can get under the bike and look up where it bolts together and it'd dry as a bone, that's why it baffled me to what it was,no seeps, no drips, no leaks, just a dark line that keeps me going crazy.[&:], Oh heck, I'll just wipe and ride.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yes i understand that...here's how....the engine has two halves (cases)...it could have a small leak there...but you couldnt see it cause the way the tranny mates to the back of the engine completely covers it and its sposed to be dry in there...if you have developed a engine case leak at the back of the cases the oil has no where to leak to but inside the usually dry cavity between the trans & engine...because of metal expansion of the engine being different from the rate of expansion for the tranny, the mating surface no matter how tight develops "inconsistancies" ...oil will find a way out and during the time of inconsistant expansion on the mating surface, oil migrates to the gap and out...just alittle oil on concrete soon looks like alot...do this, go put a drop on the concrete and watch how large it gets compared to how small it started out....if there's oil where there should be none, how did it get there and where did it come from....if its from the inside, whats in there with oil

Old 07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

What is wrong with you guys? He said it is NOT OIL. Wnogood gave a perfectly good explanation. Stop trying to diagnose something that you have not seen. JEEEZE

Old 07-04-2006, 07:04 PM
websterdan
Tourer

All you have to do is wipe it with your finger or a rag either it's oil OR it isn't. Both can happen. Both can be right, both CAN be wrong. Let the man decide for himself!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, in my case, the dealer recently had my tranny out, and I was able to look at the area in between. There was no oil. In fact the only place in that area that had any discoloration at all, was where we are talking about....where the tranny mates up with the engine, and really, only on top, where it is visible. Like someone else said.....you can tell that it is not oil....more like a graphite type consistency....like someone rubbed a pencil lead back and forth on it.

But hey, thats cool. I can just keep my stupid a$$ opinions to myself....after all....I dont know $hit![:-]

nogood o~`o