Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So which one is really the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So which one is really the best?

There seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum, so I thought I'd post a question that has been the topic of many conversations I've had in years past. What's the best year for the touring models? 2002's are the most agreed on that I've found. In my opion, I like them best thus far. Here is my reasoning. 99's had bearing trouble and 3/4" axles. 00-01 had better brakes and axels, but a more restricted FI system, and still some bearing issues. In 02 they come out with a much more stable swing arm, better cam bearings, and a FI set up that you could do a lot more with. Here is where some may not be aware, or may not care. In 03 they changed the crank bearing to a sealed unit. The 04'-06's have the same bearing. There have been 2 folks I know of that had this bearing fly apart in the motor. I've heard of several others, but can't confirm anything about them. One theory is, even though the bearing is sealed, dirt still get's in somehow, but never get's out, chews up the inside, then flies appart. I know a lot of riders, and this has only happened to 2. 1 rides very conservatve, and the other rides like a bat out of hell. Most of the bigger name engine builders will either machine the motor back to 02 style tapered bearing (theory there is that if dirt get's in, it can fall out), or not offer a warranty on the build. On the 2 bikes in question, Kendal Johnson did both motors. One opted for the old style bearing and got a 2 year warranty, the other did not, and he mentions how much he wished he had quite often. I've also heard that some of the early 05's had a problem with burning oil. This was supposed to be something related to the valves. I've never actually had this problem, but I've also not kept an 05 long enough to say for sure. I'm not a fan of the 06 bikes with the sensors in the pipes, and the fuel injectors have been an issue. Unfortunately the EPA is killing the bike market. I'm anxious to see what H-D will do for the 07's, but also anxious to see what will pop up in here this time next year as far as any issues with them. I think the sealed bearing issue is a very unlikely problem, but who knows. I think for now, I'm just gonna keep riding the 02's that I have until I can see what lies ahead in H-D's future. Maybe by the time I wear theese out, all the bugs will be worked out when I'm ready to buy again. What's your thoughts on the matter?

Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 AM
udnudn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So which one is really the best?

Sounds like you got it figured out brother[sm=biker.gif]

Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM
dhutchison
Tourer

ORIGINAL: udnudn

Sounds like you got it figured out brother[sm=biker.gif]

Thanks, if I had spent as much time in school studying, as I have the on the Harley's, I'd have been set!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

A new bike has to be the best, how many would want to trade down? 06's have improved heads, larger throttle body and whatever injectors ya run in combination with your mods, it all comes down to the TUNING. Screw the EPA!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 PM
dhutchison
Tourer

I agree, screw the EPA. But I'll have to admit, I for one have traded down. I'd love to have a set of 06 heads on my 02, they are probably the best so far, hands down. I've been told they are not interchangeable though. I had an 05, but it just didn't run like my 02. I also had an 06, and more problems out of it than any other H-D's I've owned, combined. Granted it might have just been a "bad apple", but I had heat, running, radio, idling, and ignition lock issues out of an 06 EGC. Seemed like every ride I took was back to the dealer. Newer is nice, but older isn't always a bad thing. Heck there is probably someone out there who still swears by a shovelhead. I think the 06's make a great bike, if you get a good one, or have the patience to keep going back to the dealer to get a bad one right.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what makes em not interchangeable

Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

I think my preferance would be:

#1 - 2002 Only worry would be cam chain set-up. Gear drives fix that.
#2 - 2004 Cam chains and crank bearing here. Guess I would have to go to a stroker and have the timken conversion done.
#3 - 2003 Don't like the anniversary stuff, but basically same as 2004
#4 - tie between the 2005/2006 Bad heads on 05 would have to be dealt with. 06's seem to have little gremlins and I hate going to the dealer

I think an '02 RG with a hot stroker will be my next bike.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

what makes em not interchangeable
From what I've read on another Tech site is.... The 06's have different intake mounting flanges to match up to the one-piece '06 throttle body. They are interchangable, just not a direct bolt on. If using '06 heads on earlier bikes just use the '06 flanges. You can put '05 flanges on an '06 throttlebody if using '05 or earlier heads on an '06 model.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
cincypiper
Cruiser

I know its older, and my amateur knowledge is quite limited, but I chose a late model EVO. There was only one recall issued for that model, the Ignition took too much current and the recall involved the installation of a relay. Sure, there are nice features on the newer ones such as FI, etc... ah well, there's no such thing as a perfect bike but there are certainly such things as a bike with lots of "features".