Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overseas Hog Production

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 PM
johnu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overseas Hog Production

This will futher cut USA production.
http://www.jsonline.com/business/64352232.html

Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Made in USA is more important than ever....

I'm shaking my head going..."oh no...what next"? Then I read Harley is "relocating" the York, PA plant! To where? Mexico? If Harley starts to import bikes from off-shore, the brand will take a steep down slide into oblivion. "Made in the USA" is half of the reason I buy Harley and am dedicated to the brand. I like to know that a family of "Americans" are having dinner because of my business. I will not support the brand if off-shore componants (engines, frames, trannys, etc) are built and being paid for in Pesos.
I applaud Eric Buell for his outstanding work and dedication to his product. I gladly wave to Buell riders as though they're on a Harley...and always will.

Enough of this "off-shore" crap America...keep it here!

Dex

Last edited by dohadex; 10-16-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Harley goes "off shore",my next bike will be a BMW

I'll still keep my old RK because it is a member of the family and also as a reminder of days gone by

Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
hogrider09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt mexico becoming the 51st state under Obama

Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 AM
roadking07
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I might jump ship if this happens and go to the first american motorcycle - an Indian

Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't plan to build bikes overseas that they would then sell in America...they only plan to build where they will be selling for obvious efficiency. Nothing to worry about here, unless they change their minds, and then I'm done with them.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe what the article is saying is Harley MAY build an assembly plant, or 2, in countries that buy a lot of Harleys and for sale in those countries and other countries, but NOT the USA. Good idea actually to boost company profit and lower import or other taxation. It would take a whole lot for H-D to stop building it's bikes in the US for the US market. Only would see that if H-D's US sales drop to a small percentage of overall sales.

The York plant may get shut due to labor costs and could see operations move to a non-union state. Or maybe Kansas City to streamline production?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

If you read farther, only motorcycles built in the U.S.A. will be sold in the U.S.A.!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought my first/last new H-D in '03 and it was a POS from the get-go. Personally, It doesn't matter to me where they build them. I've been done with the MOCO for years.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many companies are marketing their products overseas in order to expand, while maintaining the product here. And that's the point. Because the market here is falling the MOCO must spread out to other countries to maintain the market here.

As the article said, sales here are dropping. If we want to continue to have these bikes here the MOCO must create markets elsewhere. I don't believe we will get bikes made somewhere else and marketed here. But, even that statement is not entirely true. We have many parts on our bikes that are made in other countries, it is only these parts are assembled here, much like the auto industry. The MOCO cannot afford to lose the market here, as we are their bread and butter.

I have bought my last new bike so, it is up to the rest of you as to whether the MOCO will survive here in the states.

Quick Reply: Overseas Hog Production