Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG Owners w/ hard lowers & glove boxes...READ...Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

The frame to fairing bracket changed as well as the support brackets from engine guard to fairing. That is where the tilt comes from. All the parts will work on an 05. You would need the large bracket and then the chrome supports on each side as well.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
I just leave mine on.
Dont make it easier for a theif!

Why the cable kit?

At the time,Chicago HD had the best price I could find.
The cable kit is require for bikes with the braided stainless steel clutch line, which I have.

I gotta check Chicago HD, thanks!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

Getting cheaper!!

58861-09CYS$499.96
58687-89$128.00
58688-89A$128.00
38674-01$36.80
58146-07$79.96
Shipping - $27.00

Total: $899.72

Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If you can get the vented ones they are really nice.

In this Texas summer heat I take the vents out and that gives a bout 3 more inches of air for the over 95 degree days.

and in the winter I close the vents, anything under 65 degrees.

Yes anything under 65 degrees in considered winter in Texas. Don't hate me, I moved down here because I hated cold winters. That below feezing for two months and below zero for a couple of weeks was just more than I could take.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
If you can get the vented ones they are really nice.

In this Texas summer heat I take the vents out and that gives a bout 3 more inches of air for the over 95 degree days.

and in the winter I close the vents, anything under 65 degrees.

Yes anything under 65 degrees in considered winter in Texas. Don't hate me, I moved down here because I hated cold winters. That below feezing for two months and below zero for a couple of weeks was just more than I could take.

Now thats funny!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Shredsurf, do you prefer unvented lowers and the additional expense of $250+ for glove boxes rather than install the 2010 fairing brackets that allow you to use the vented lowers that include the glove boxes at no additional cost?

At least one HDF'er posted on his replacement of the brackets w/in the last couple of weeks, so it's been done before.

Which ever way you go, you'll enjoy the lowers, and nice shopping.

I usually use Zanotti's, but I always comparison shop. IIRC, Lake Shore HD offers free shipping on orders over $500 and someone here recently purchased lowers that were included in the fee shipping.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the HOGG CHOPPS on mine this summer (no vents available), and there was a definite increase in heat, traffic or no. Now that I've seen the new lower mounting brackets and the big mounting bracket could be bought, I'd go with the Ultra Lowers with the vents (but that's just me).

The HOGG CHOPPS were also $355 delivered, so ................

Last edited by dklanecky; 10-15-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Another advantage of the vented lowers is the easy (and relatively inexpensive) installation of Hog Tunes Fairing Lowers Speaker Kit. Saw your post on the thread about custom speakers in RG lowers, so you may be interested in the vented lowers/HT combo.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsurf
Listed below are what I believe are the part #'s (I think) needed for the installation of the detachable hard lowers for the '09 RG. I've priced them at 2 differant internet sites to compare my dealer pricing.

Does the pricing look reasonable? Is installation of the lowers difficult? Are there other sites besides Surdyke & Zanotti's I should check?

I just had lowers installed on my '09 RG by my dealer yesterday as part of the purchase agreement (I usually do this stuff myself, but wanted the full 2-year warranty). They told me the quick detach hardware would only work on the bottom due to the fairing bracket being in the way. If that's true, you may as well save your money on the detachable hardware.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Shredsurf, do you prefer unvented lowers and the additional expense of $250+ for glove boxes rather than install the 2010 fairing brackets that allow you to use the vented lowers that include the glove boxes at no additional cost?

At least one HDF'er posted on his replacement of the brackets w/in the last couple of weeks, so it's been done before.

Which ever way you go, you'll enjoy the lowers, and nice shopping.

I usually use Zanotti's, but I always comparison shop. IIRC, Lake Shore HD offers free shipping on orders over $500 and someone here recently purchased lowers that were included in the fee shipping.
I would prefer the vented and the #1 reason for wanting lowers is for additional speakers. I'm going to have to look into the 2010 fairing brackets.

Quick Reply: RG Owners w/ hard lowers & glove boxes...READ...Please!