Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about riding and high blood pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are one cager making a quick left away from a stroke or heart attack man. Get off the damn puter and to the doctor.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

This OldPhat Bastard has had high blood pressure for 25 years, (thanks mom & dad) and been riding 48 years. When under control, high blood presure is not a big worry or a danger. Not taking care of H B P is a danger to you, your passenger, along with others around you. I always pack my pills for any long trip, plus extras, on day trips I make sure I take my medication in the morning befor I start riding. I do carry a list of all my medications in my wallet. Get your blood pressure under control so you can still be riding many years from now.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Been on HBP pill for a year. Never a problem until last August, I went down to Deal's Gap dealing with the 318 curves and all the heat crap then I got all moody, pissy and legs got all swelled up the rest of my vacation until I got back home. Showed my doctor that I got swelled legs with rash. He immediately sent me to the heart doctor so he could check me on the EKG treadmill and videos with 55 pictures taken of my heart from so many different angles. Heart's perfectly fine (Thank Goodness), Stress level went up (Had to relax and walk every night) and prescribed with cream for the heat rash for the next 2 weeks. Now, Back to normal as I continue to take pills these days.

You need to go to the doctor and have him/her look over you. Little itsy bitsy of information could do you wonders with Dr's help.

Wish you the best,

Thorey

Old 10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
sgl0226
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a doc but I did stay at a Holiday Express last night. High blood pressure can be so easy to treat. Trip to doc, take a pill each day. Problem cured. Even for those who hate going to the doctor, this is as easy as it gets. Pick up the phone and make an appointment.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Textbook normal for blood pressure is 120/80. Since none of us are textbooks, it can flucuate greatly from one person to another, from one arm to another... Several items can raise BP rapidly, sudden stress being one, age and genetics also play into this. If the elevated BP remains high enough there are several medications that can be used to treat the condition. The only problem with these meds are having to drain the bladder more ofter than the need to fill the gas tank...
In short, taking lasix before starting a road trip is not a good idea.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Do yourself and family a favor and go get a blood test by a Dr and at least get the pressure controlled your heart will thank you

Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Textbook normal for blood pressure is 120/80. Since none of us are textbooks, it can flucuate greatly from one person to another, from one arm to another...
Since my early 20's I've always been in the range of 135/88. Now at 53 still about the same. Well in the summer for the first time ever I rode the bike about 25 miles through rush hour traffic to the doctor for an appt, and scored my lowest BP in probably 10 years. Go figure.

They probably read it wrong. Bummer!

I like how with most HD bagger riders being older, there are lots of posts on this forum related to health. I've got one myself I'm going to have to post up soon

Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

205 over 140 is is not caused by riding. Go get yourself checked out mine was that high until i started BP meds now it is ok. HBP is the silent killer

Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Just curious...why did they talk your blood pressure at a dentist office? Was she cute!!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Riding lowers my BP. Getting old usually raisesyour BP. Go see a doctor before you have a stroke.

Quick Reply: Question about riding and high blood pressure