Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage vs Disadvantage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
edmo119
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage vs Disadvantage

This has probably been posted more times than the miles on my bike but here goes...

Whats the advantages vs disadvantages of having true duals vs slip ons especially if your not going to do heavy motor mods....lets say hi flow filter-power command & exhaust

Please respond.....opinions are inportant....just not mine
Thanks

Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM
edmo119
Advanced

bump it up, no opinions out there

Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

You asked for it......IMHO...True duals make a fashion statement. Looks/sound although I an not sure what the sound improvement is. I will agree (to a point) that the looks of a "true dual" setup is appealing. So were curb feelers. But....that was a long time ago.
If you are not going to get into a heavy build for the engine.....your biggest bang for the buck is stock headpipes with a good set of slip ons. If you really want to build for power, I "believe" most buliders will tell you to go with a real two into one. All exahust systems do the same thing. They get the fumes from the cylinder head to the back of the bike, so you don't have to choke on 'em. The problem in the Harley world is that everybody loves to split hairs. "True duals...you lose power on the bottom end"...WTF....do you lose a pound or two of torque at any given RPM or do you lose 10-20? Me thinks the former and not the latter...."True duals give you more top end power"....Same argument...1-2 pounds or 10-20? Last time I looked at the tach on my scoot, I am doing 85 at 3000 rpm....6th gear. I don't ride at 5252 all day long in every gear. And most likely...neither are you. I like (as much as the next guy) the looks of a good true dual set up. For the life of me....I will never understand why the MOCO did not make the rear cylinder head with a left side dump, giving the looks of a true dual, but running a single black crossover pipe underneath, instead of this pipe set up like they have on the 09's and 10 touring rides. HD could have given customers the "true dual look" while maintaining a crossover (outasite), cleaned up the right side and cut down on heat on the right side.
Soooo....
In the final anlaysis.....money an issue....stock headpipes with slip ons. If you want true duals, knock yourself out. Your *** can't tell the difference and you aren't setting any landspeed records.
What am I running? At the moment..stock headpipes with S&S SPO's. I did have the D&D Police interceptor slip ons. I liked the D&Ds. The S&S are a little quieter ad idle. On the highway, I could not tell the difference.
What am I going to be running? Just picked up a set of RB racing LSR 2-1 Blackhole exhaust. Why? I ran 2-1 on my FatBoy (1996 with reasonbly built engine) and they gave me the look and sound. Why the RB Blackhole??? Smokin' deal on ebay. If it had not been for that I would still run the stock headpipes with the SPO's. Do I think the RB is going to give me ++ Torque and ++ HP over any other setup? Nope. I like the looks. The quality of their build seems to be pretty darn nice. And they are black ceramic coated.
You want true duals...go for it. Are they going to dazzle you with a ton of power improvement and the sound to die for? I don't know but I doubt it. It becomes nothing more than the issue of what you want and what will keep you happy. I sure hope this Blackhole is the last exahust system I buy....... but don't expect me to come tooting my horn to tell you they are the best thing out there. If they were, we would all have the same exhaust.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, the advantages of true duals are looks, sound and heat reduction. Maybe it would be better to call it heat redistribution as true duals will equally distribute heat and exhaust from both sides.

The disadvantage might be some slight performance loss in the low end but then these are touring bikes and that's not a huge deal to a lot of people.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

True Duals clean up the appearance behind the rear cylinder, move some of the heat out from under the seat, & do away with the "Y" pipe that had a tendency to crack. Of course so does a good 2 into 1 pipe.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My original pipe cracked and the heat on my leg was terrible.(shorts most of the time) So I went with the True Duals. I can't tell that it lost any power but thats just me. I do know for sure that it took all the heat off of my right leg though. Changed the sound some but I can't really tell that either, thats just what my friends tell me. I think it looks alot cleaner with out that cross over pipe.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by edmo119
bump it up, no opinions out there
Apparently not in the 65 minutes from your original post to your bump.

Cosmetics: Cleaner look w/o the y-pipe on the right side, and continuous chrome heat shield on the right side.

Sound: I haven't heard a better sounding pipe for my ears than the Rinehart TD's that have been on my bike for four years; Rinehart mufflers on stock headers don't really come close IMO, though much better than the stock mufflers.

Heat: Redistributes the heat away from the right leg which is welcome during summer, suburban riding.

Performance: Nominal loss that occurs in a narrow, low rpm range, according to dyno sheets, but my butt dyno and riding style makes this irrelevant.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM
edmo119
Advanced
Default Thanks so far

Thanks for the great insight so far, really appreciate the help
btw.......a poster mentioned D&D's, is anyone running their slip ons

I luv this place

Old 10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Originally Posted by edmo119
This has probably been posted more times than the miles on my bike but here goes...

Whats the advantages vs disadvantages of having true duals vs slip ons especially if your not going to do heavy motor mods....lets say hi flow filter-power command & exhaust

Please respond.....opinions are inportant....just not mine
Thanks
If your not going to do any motor work (yet), want the most for your money and want a system that just plain works call Jamie at Fuel Moto.