Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto compression releases

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
88racing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Fire Captain
I had the SE 103" Stage 4 Pro Race Kit installed last winter with the electronic compression releases installed, they are nice, turn on the ignition, they open and when the bike fires they close.....simple....I have over 7500 trouble free miles on these, plus I did NOT install a new starter, still using the 2007 stock starter. Of course the heads that came with the kit had the holes drilled in them already. My advice go with them. John
A very nice package been considering that for my next upgrade over the stage 2 103.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
skydoc
Banned
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have considered these, but I allready have the SE 255 installed. I stll may install them, since I could sell the 255's. Has any one used the easy start cams?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Jims Compression Releases!

HOLLA!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the manual CR's.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manuel CRs

Manuel CR's would be the least costly however I am 67 years old, this is a ultra classic, and I don't want to push in those hot little buttons every time I stop to pee. I plan on waiting untill Jan to tear this apart as we may get a few nice days in Nov and Dec. to ride, so I have time to decide.

The ACR's require a more difficult machining process. There is a cross hole drilled thru the exhaust port to the compression release hole. The heads have to be stripped to mount the machining fixtures. I found a vender on Ebay who charges $60.00 to machine a manuel and $120.00 for the Auto. The cost of the Manuel and Auto releases are about the same however the Auto requires a harness at about $50.00 and programing at a dealer at about $40.00. I think you could wire these into the starter solenoid and be OK and not need the harness and programing. The next time I am at the Dealer I will talk to the service guy about this and find out if they have the fixture to do this.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
mj07469
Stage I
Default Automatic Compression Release on Stock heads.

2008 FXSTC Softtail Custom with 96B motor.
Took advantage of dealer winter offer of 103 Kit Stage 3 useing stock heads. New springs and tappets and cams,cy,pistons etc..
Special advised Automatic Compression release would be installed on the stock heads. Inspected bike found manual compression releases.
Checking work order found manual compression [MCR's] releases were ordered and installed instead. Now dealer advises you could never install ACR's on stock heads anyways, only MCRs. The ACRs are for the SE Heads only.
Think this is true ? or did they just error on the parts order ?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chasswartz
I am planning on installing a SE 103 kit [ 29903-07 ] and would like to install auto compression releases [28861-07a] while I have the heads off. Based on my research so far it looks like these install in the center of the head instead of next to the spark plug.
Has anyone have any experience with these? How are these wired? I think they are wired to the ECM and require programing but I think they could be tied into the starter solanoid circuit?

Any infomation will be appreciated. This is a 2007 ulta, stock except for SE 255 cams. I plan on using stock heads and head gaskets. I know I could get more power by reworking the heads and raising the CR but I am doing this for the fun of the project rather than getting more power. I may not need compression releases on this build, but they do take a load off the starter. If I put in manuel releases I would probably not use them.

chasswartz;

I went with manual compression releases. I only use them on a hot restart -- the rest of the time I can just forget they're there. The electronic ones can cause a lot of problems that can be hard to trouble-shoot.

Bryon

Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mj07469
2008 FXSTC Softtail Custom with 96B motor.
Took advantage of dealer winter offer of 103 Kit Stage 3 useing stock heads. New springs and tappets and cams,cy,pistons etc..
Special advised Automatic Compression release would be installed on the stock heads. Inspected bike found manual compression releases.
Checking work order found manual compression [MCR's] releases were ordered and installed instead. Now dealer advises you could never install ACR's on stock heads anyways, only MCRs. The ACRs are for the SE Heads only.
Think this is true ? or did they just error on the parts order ?
I have auto compression releases on my '09 with stock heads. No problem.

Marc

Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer

Do something with the Compression release. I had the 103 and went through 4 starters before 20k. Under warranty of course but who needs the down time. My new bike has ACR and what a difference.

Quick Reply: auto compression releases