Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest and Deer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just deer that can take you out. We've got multiple critters that do their best to down you. You've got be careful. Elk, Antelope, Moose, Bear, Big Horn Sheep, Turkeys that are big enough to stand flat footed and dance with giraffe, and Raccoons by the barrel full just to mention a few. It's a circus out there and you've got to be aware of everything going on all around you.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Funny how it is a state deer you just shot out of seasson or with no license and now are fined out the A$$, but it is an "Act of God" if you hit one. I think it could be beat in court if pushed.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Yes, this is an issue here. One ran out in front of me while riding on route 40 at night not too long ago, I missed it by about 1/2 a second. At night, route 40 and even during the day, route 19 which runs through the Ocala national forest is especially packed with deer. It's like they are laying in wait for a biker to come along and then come out to graze right on the shoulder. This, making your *** bite a hole in your shorts the entire ride!
I could not agree more. Heading back from Leesburg Bike Fest we took this route and damn.....many deer, armadillo and posum. I thought they were filming a Mutual of Omaha commercial there were so many animals!.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dispatch
This, making your *** bite a hole in your shorts the entire ride!
LOL.....i needed a laugh this morning....I'm stealing your phrase

Old 10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
jbe
Road Captain
Default Biketoberfest and Deer

Originally Posted by Orion1369
Funny how it is a state deer you just shot out of seasson or with no license and now are fined out the A$$, but it is an "Act of God" if you hit one. I think it could be beat in court if pushed.
I agree.I want to send a bill the the Md Department of Natural Resourses for all the damage their deer did to my truck. I forgot, government is not responsible for anything and we are responsible for everything.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Jim Gumbel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, the guy who sold me my bike gave me a great tip. Put dear whistles on your bike. I bought 2 to put on my bike. They work! I have had four instances where the deer was coming toward the road I was on. They either stop at the edge of the road, or turned and ran parallel with the road in the ditch. The closer I got to them, they would run away back over fence away from the road. I bought mine off of Saveadeerwhistle.com website. They were about $5each. I have them mounted low on my bike. They are on the ends of the engine guard bar on my classic. I have seen them work. Good luck, don't get in the rut with buck, unless that is your thing.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Gumbel
Guys, the guy who sold me my bike gave me a great tip. Put dear whistles on your bike.
Oh, geez. Here it comes. The "deer whistle" deal again.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Jim Gumbel
Tourer
Smile

Sorry you don't believe in them. But I have seen them deter the deer from coming out across the road when I was riding. If you think it is a scam then, it is what it is. I wish safe riding and hope that you never hit a deer!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Gumbel
Sorry you don't believe in them. But I have seen them deter the deer from coming out across the road when I was riding. If you think it is a scam then, it is what it is. I wish safe riding and hope that you never hit a deer!
You're too late, I've hit two of 'em so far. Thanks, anyway.

But the reports on "deer whistles" tell the tale. They don't work.

The web is overflowing with anecdotal reports from gullible people who've bought into the "deer whistle" hype and claim they've never hit "one of those critters" since they installed their "deer whistle". But how do we know if they would have hit "one of those critters" had they NOT installed their deer whistle? WE DON'T.

Over and out - I'm not here to debate the issue. I'm just convinced they're snake oil. Deer are simply too damned stupid to react in any predictible way to anything like these goofy devices. If you have any conclusive proof they DO work, post a reference. Not talking about the anecdotal crap people always throw out there, I'm talking about CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE. There ain't any. Prove me wrong.

Last edited by racklefratz; 10-16-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Ramrod1
Intermediate

STFD (Slow The F*** Down) and "loud pipes save lives"
Since I got my Classic I don't run loud pipes cause I got music now but my 04 RK Custom had 2/1 Fatcat and I can't tell you how many times I saw deer running away from me and I'm convinced it was because of the pipe, specialy if I rolled off the throttle and let it pop. My wife and I hit a deer a few weeks ago at 3 in the afternoon and were more than lucky that we didn't go down. Chances are you won't see the one you hit, so....STFD!

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest and Deer