Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armor All on the inner faring

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I use Lemon Pledge on mine.
Pledge is the greatest bike cleaner ever invented !!!! somebody told me it was originally invented for furniture......Yeah, right !!!!!

Used it on inner fairing for the first time a few weeks back.....Looks good as new.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havn't needed anything on my inner fairing yet. I just wipe it with a damp cloth to clean. I have used Back
to Black on the plastic on my Avalanche that spends most of its life in the sun. It only seems to last about a month then needs another treatment. I wish there was something better.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 AM
cigar06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner fairing treatment

Originally Posted by notlost_nc
Mother's Back to Black. It removed most of the white junk on mine. Should've started using it sooner.
+1. Tried different products, Mothers worked best and seems to last longer.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I don't use it on the inner fairing because it's hard to apply evenly, and use Windex instead to clean it. It doesn't get stored in the sun often and I've seen no oxidation of the plastic.

This notion that Armor-All dries plastic and rubber is simply untrue and I can't imagine where it started. I've used it on the plastic dash and stock plastic seat-covers of my '66 Corvette since I purchased it in 1982 and the dash plastic is still intact and uncracked after 43 years. One seat cover finally started cracking about five years ago, and the vinyl used on these cars from the factory was mediocre quality, so it's a wonder they survived this long. I also use it on that car's tires, which have been installed for almost 20 years without any dry-rot or other signs of deterioration. What's more, I apply it on my 15-year-old everyday car on the plastic and rubber parts every six months and they still look like new. I've used AA for about 35 years and have never had a problem with it, and I normally keep cars and MC's for the long haul.
I guess you are about the only one it works for.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very posible they changed their formula since the day of the dinosaurs.*

Went to one of those dumpsites that sell that bargain junk and right next to a pallet of armorall was slick 50. Two great products of the day

Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I painted mine I used 303 Aerospace with good results. It last's for quite a few washings.
The problem I found over the years is that whatever product I used, they seemed to leave a residue as the shinny stuff dries over time. Which then requires a re-application because it usually looks dull and hazy. Some last longer then others between the applications - but they all seem to do the same thing eventually.
If you don't mind doing that every time it needs it, then it's no issue.
If you do - paint is your only option as far as I've experienced.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
brogers
Advanced

I used to use armor all but switched to pig spit , it looks a little bit better. I don't spray it directly on the fairing I spray it on a clean rag and wipe it on.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

No one has ever mentioned a product called "Restore Refinisher" by Car Systems. This stuff is AWSOME. Trust me, I have tried EVERYTHING out there, nothing lasts beyond the next washing. This stuff will last for 1+ years between applications. The guy that repaired my wifes trailblazer after an accident recommended it to me/gave me some to try to restore some of the plastic panels on the car that looked awful (faded and discolored). 2 coats of this stuff and the plastic looks like new. Chevy Avalanche clubs SWEAR by it (google it and read some of the reviews on their forums). I tried it on the inner fairing of my RG, and it made it look like new, still looks perfect xx (lost count) washings later.

not cheap, but I figure this can will last me almost a lifetime, and I have already spent more that the cost of this stuff on all the other products out there with disappointing results.

here's a link to somewhere that I found it online, although the body shop owner was able to get it for me from his local supplier:

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.ya.../carere1l.html

1st coat soaks in and leaves it a little splotchy, but the 2nd coat really finishes it off nice. caution, don't get it on your paint (or wipe it off right away if you do), it doesn't hurt the paint but its a royal pita/nearly impossible to get off the paint if it dries on it.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
I havn't needed anything on my inner fairing yet. I just wipe it with a damp cloth to clean. I have used Back
to Black on the plastic on my Avalanche that spends most of its life in the sun. It only seems to last about a month then needs another treatment. I wish there was something better.
see my thread above on a product called "Refinish Restorer". Stuff works so well I bought a bottle for my dad who owns an avalanche. Lasts 1+ years between applications. here's a link to one avalanche site where they show some before/after pics, some after several months:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37991

Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Trojan63
Cruiser

I use soap and water.

Quick Reply: Armor All on the inner faring