Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more excess heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Knight2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tictoc,
I'm having the same exact problem with my 05 Ultra.
Wives right leg is burning up'
can't wait to see your numbers!
Thanks
pete

Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Who did the ceramic coating for you? company name?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You say you had them ceramic coated inside and out. I'd love to see some pictures of the finished product. I too would be interested in knowing the name of the Co. that did your ceramic coating. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting. Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
billfoster424
Stage II

I think what you call a heat meter is also called a THERMometer! ;-)

Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
tictocpwatch
6th Gear

The company I had them sent to is a Jet-Hot distributor in Greensboro, NC. If you go to the Jet-Hot web site you can look up distributor locations with the Jet-Hot Dealers link.

billfoster424 - I intentionally did not call it a Thermometer. Conjures up images of sticking a mercury glass thermometer on the engine to take its temp. :-) Just couldn't do it.

Jet-Hot link is http://www.jet-hot.com/

Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by captjon37
...You did not address the problem itself. The heat is still there and it will be interesting to see what that heat does now that it cannot exchange where it was designed to. Your frugal solution may end up a big repair bill later on...
That was my thought as well.

The pipes do not generate the heat but act, in part, as a heat sink to dissipate the heat being generated by the engine.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink conspiracy a foot?

If this idea pans out, and I have no vested reason to hope it does not, can you imagine the effects this will have on a large portion of the after market? I would guess that a good portion of the modifications people make to their bikes are efforts to reduce the heat felt by the rider and passenger. Not to mention trying to cool the running temp of the motor itself. Will this thread mysteriously disappear (suppressed by the after market businesses that sell us everything from mufflers to oil coolers)? These companies will fight to keep the truth from coming out! Will this idea become some internet rumor like the razor that never dulls or the tires that never wear out? Wait a minute, I just saw Elvis over by the donut aisle. I better go check this out.
Seriously though, I have subscribed to this thread because I will also be very interested in hearing your results. Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tictocpwatch
I took this approach after reading about the avantages of ceramic coating in performance cars both in improving performance as well as under hood temperature. Apparently ceramic coating the inside of the exhaust headers leads to hot gasses evacuating faster and does not build heat back into the engine. One of the reasons I'm taking a heat meter with me is to measure different areas of the engine as well as the exhaust system. My un-scientific impression so far is the engine is not getting as hot as it was before. I won't be able to really back that up until this coming weekend.
You are a 100% correct, race cars have been using this technology for years, I'd completely forgotten about it, I've seen comparisons done years ago using a heat meter and it does work and the heat does go out the tail pipes not back up into the engine as someone here hypothesized.
I to would like to see your side by side heat comparison.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Like Jet Hot.
Been using it for years on my Hot-Rods

Quick Reply: No more excess heat