Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:59 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer

Congrats on the do it yourself cam swap, sounds like good results.

There's a lot of info in this thread.

I might have missed it, but are you running stock heads/valvetrain? Like a lot of folks on the forum, I've got cams on the brain and still can't figure out what cam I should go with.

I'm running slip ons, Ness stage 2 Big Sucker and a PC III. The bike runs well now but I would still like a little more oomph through out the power band. I'm looking for good torque and power from 0-60 and a little more stomp when I downshift to 5th to get past a big rig at 75 mph. I ride both solo and two up.

I don't want to mess with pistons, valves, or heads. I 'm looking for a straight bolt-in to fit my needs and all I really want to spend $$ on are the cams and a set of adjustable pushrods. I can get a new map from Jamie at FuelMoto (because he's the man!)

Cams I've considered include the SE 255, the HQ 500 and the HQ525 and the Andrews 26HG. Do I need to go gear drive?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I figured we didn't need ANOTHER cam thread.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:04 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Yes my heads are stock/untouched....

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:09 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Can anyone supply the link to Iclick's post? Also what is the cost to go with the 255's if one does his own labor?
Click here for Iclicks write up.

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:15 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Anybody have the final numbers of the 255 with the Fuelmoto setup? I am getting 77 HP and 91.5 TQ with the stock cam and am curious as to how much more I should get out of it if I change to the 255?

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:19 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HHI Dave
Congrats on the do it yourself cam swap, sounds like good results.

There's a lot of info in this thread.

I might have missed it, but are you running stock heads/valvetrain? Like a lot of folks on the forum, I've got cams on the brain and still can't figure out what cam I should go with.

I'm running slip ons, Ness stage 2 Big Sucker and a PC III. The bike runs well now but I would still like a little more oomph through out the power band. I'm looking for good torque and power from 0-60 and a little more stomp when I downshift to 5th to get past a big rig at 75 mph. I ride both solo and two up.

I don't want to mess with pistons, valves, or heads. I 'm looking for a straight bolt-in to fit my needs and all I really want to spend $$ on are the cams and a set of adjustable pushrods. I can get a new map from Jamie at FuelMoto (because he's the man!)

Cams I've considered include the SE 255, the HQ 500 and the HQ525 and the Andrews 26HG. Do I need to go gear drive?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I figured we didn't need ANOTHER cam thread.

Any input is appreciated.
I was in the same position as alot of people and you. I think it's too much information. I just went ahead and bought the 255's for mine because the more I read the more undecided and confused about whatever. Bottom line most agreed upon was the 255's you didn't have to do any work with heads, compression and so on. Plus it was in the range I usually ride in 2k-4500 or so. I'm buying some other parts but leaving the heads alone.(for now) I keep reading and trying to learn and I think this place is great for that.
Sorry

Old 10-12-2009 | 05:14 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Can anyone supply the link to Iclick's post? Also what is the cost to go with the 255's if one does his own labor?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ge-report.html

Old 10-12-2009 | 05:17 PM
SE120RG
Road Master

Originally Posted by brihvac
I too would like to gain the knowledge of doing it myself. But I would want someone watching over me that knew what they were doing. I want some hard pulling torque. I could care less about horsepower. I read in a search there was a guy here that got 99lbs out of a SE204. I didnt even see numbers like that with the 255.

Is there anywhere that has an illustrated "how to" on cam install?

Close to 100 ftlbs is pretty easy to obtain with the 255's. If you can pick up a set used on ebay this is the best low budget build you can do yourself.

Attached Thumbnails Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher-004.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009 | 06:41 PM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

Originally Posted by cmashark
What all have you done to your bike? Cams? Pipe? Tune? A/C?

Chris
I'm running stage I with SE Heavy Breather and Samson true duals for exhaust. No other changes except cams and SEST. My dealer claims he can get very good tune without dyno. It's at the shop now re-checking SEST. Any ideas why the suddem loss of power or surging could be?

Old 10-13-2009 | 10:33 AM
HHI Dave
Tourer

Originally Posted by Barrenmug
I was in the same position as alot of people and you. I think it's too much information. I just went ahead and bought the 255's for mine because the more I read the more undecided and confused about whatever. Bottom line most agreed upon was the 255's you didn't have to do any work with heads, compression and so on. Plus it was in the range I usually ride in 2k-4500 or so. I'm buying some other parts but leaving the heads alone.(for now) I keep reading and trying to learn and I think this place is great for that.
Sorry
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 255s now...until the next cam thread.

Old 10-13-2009 | 12:15 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

Cmashark,
What is the Fuelpak Map number you recieved from Vance and Hines. Also what is VO2 Drak A/C?

Quick Reply: Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher