Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 01:50 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I don't think my bike is louder, but the tone is deeper.

Chris

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:15 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm currently running an 07 police RK with the 103. I've got the stock cams in, SE a/c, Supertrapp SE's, fuelpak, no ecm reflash. I'm planning on bolting in a set of 255's this winter. It looks like it should be easily do-able with no head work needed. Right now, the bike runs crazy good. Great throttle response, no popping, hiccups, etc.

I think the 255's should bolt right in with no other work needed, and give me a little extra power right where I ride... 2500-4000 rpm. I'm encouraged by your report, and am looking forward to seeing if you experience any meaningful changes by going to a pc and dyno tune.

Great job, and thanks for the report.

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:04 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
My dealer quoted me six hours using adjustable pushrods, and at the time I thought that was too too much. I said, "I can do that in four hours taking my time." Yeah, right--how about 8-10 hours in reality. So, now that I've done the job I would say that's not too extravagant, but I saved $450 doing it myself, plus I wouldn't have had to buy the bearing puller/installer. I also gained a wealth of experience that I wouldn't want to take back. OTOH I do understand your concern for the warranty, and I would approach your dealer about how they would approach it after a DIY job like this. If a problem crops up that doesn't involve your cam job they should honor the warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.
I too would like to gain the knowledge of doing it myself. But I would want someone watching over me that knew what they were doing. I want some hard pulling torque. I could care less about horsepower. I read in a search there was a guy here that got 99lbs out of a SE204. I didnt even see numbers like that with the 255.

Is there anywhere that has an illustrated "how to" on cam install?

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:17 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

I also have a set of 255's my buddy gave me just sitting in my garage. After reading iClick's report, I wanted to use them, but thought I needed and PC-V, AT, 2:1 D&D pipes...well, that pushed my budget up $1,200 and out of my price range. I already have V&H MO's and the Fuel Pak--if I can just bolt these in, keep my FP, and maybe go true dual, that would be much more in my budget. My dealer told me that if I put in the 255's I had to go to a SEST (or a PC-V, though he recommended the SEST) and one of their downloads...

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:23 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior

Can anyone supply the link to Iclick's post? Also what is the cost to go with the 255's if one does his own labor?

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:39 PM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

I am currently running the 255"s with SEST on my 08 Roadglide after hearing great things about them here. Now it feels like the bike is surging when I throttle down. I don't feel like I've gained that much from the swap. I was expecting better low end torque. Could this be that the SEST needs to be tweaked, or do I need to spend the bucks on a dyno tune?

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:47 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by confused
Mine got tuned today
SE 255's, tuned with a TTS Mastertune
I called him up and he just finished
I will be picking up on Tuesday
He said; 79HP 91TP

Should be like a new bike w/ F&R E3's and the CAMS

CAN'T WAIT
What kind of exhaust you running , I got 83hp and 98ft. lbs with a D&D Fat-Cat!

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:48 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HOGWYLDPR
I am currently running the 255"s with SEST on my 08 Roadglide after hearing great things about them here. Now it feels like the bike is surging when I throttle down. I don't feel like I've gained that much from the swap. I was expecting better low end torque. Could this be that the SEST needs to be tweaked, or do I need to spend the bucks on a dyno tune?
How did you know what map to use? I hope you or your dealer didn't just pick on from the disk. I have alot of experience with the race tuner and can tell you that every map they have is next to worthless. If you want a good map for your tuner, the only way to get it is from someone who has dyno'ed their bike with the same set-up or you have your own dyno'ed. Don't get me wrong, you probably have a decent base map for the dyno (just like me) but don't let the dealer plug the SEST into your bike a guess at maps without tuning it. You can change virtually every aspect of the program in your bike with the system you have.

Chris

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:50 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by THABULL
What kind of exhaust you running , I got 83hp and 98ft. lbs with a D&D Fat-Cat!
What all have you done to your bike? Cams? Pipe? Tune? A/C?

Chris

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:52 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Can anyone supply the link to Iclick's post? Also what is the cost to go with the 255's if one does his own labor?
Iclick did his for around 285.... I did mine for about 450. He got a screaming deal on his cams...

Quick Reply: Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher