Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:40 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Chris,
If the bike is performing great with the 255 and fuel pak, why mess with the PCV and dyno tune. Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone.
Tom

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:45 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Chris,
If the bike is performing great with the 255 and fuel pak, why mess with the PCV and dyno tune. Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone.
Tom

Well said, but if you are like most of us, we know it can make more power.

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:54 AM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Chris,
Tom
You know, your way of thinking is right. I have never had a bike than ran this well. My carb'ed bikes always had strange hiccups and coughing... My V-rods always surged below 3K rpm or had lots of decel popping. This one doesn't. It just works the right way. I really would like to see what it is putting out with the fuel pak and see if the PCV can make any more power with timing changes.

Chris

Old 10-12-2009 | 11:19 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by brihvac
Wonder how much the dealer would charge to do this. Im just thinking for keeping my warranty. My dealers pretty cool if they do the work
My dealer quoted me six hours using adjustable pushrods, and at the time I thought that was too too much. I said, "I can do that in four hours taking my time." Yeah, right--how about 8-10 hours in reality. So, now that I've done the job I would say that's not too extravagant, but I saved $450 doing it myself, plus I wouldn't have had to buy the bearing puller/installer. I also gained a wealth of experience that I wouldn't want to take back. OTOH I do understand your concern for the warranty, and I would approach your dealer about how they would approach it after a DIY job like this. If a problem crops up that doesn't involve your cam job they should honor the warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by iclick; 10-12-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 11:42 AM
rm4040
Cruiser

Cmashark,
Did Vance and Hines provide the MAP for the fuel pak?. Did you provide the data as follows: Duals, 255 cam and Ovals or did you provide more? I currently have a FP and was thinking of putting in the 255 cam. My main concern was the additional costs for tuning devices, dyno's and compression releases which could add over a grand to the cam costs. If the FP will do the job and provide the benefits you stated, then I would think the FP would be the way to go.
Thoughts????

Old 10-12-2009 | 11:57 AM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

I went to the V&H website and filled in my information about my bike and then it took me to another page to direct email them because they didn't have a listing for my combo. Within 24 hours I received an email back from them with the fuel pak map number that I needed to enter on their site. After entering the number, it gave me all of the settings I needed.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with using the fuel pak. It works great. I just want to see what is available when playing with the timing. I also don't see any need for compression releases on our 96 motors. Our stock compression is low enough to not need them.

Old 10-12-2009 | 12:00 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

One more thing for other Fuel Pak users, V&H updates their maps often. Record all of the settings on your map and double check their websites every couple of months.

Chris

Old 10-12-2009 | 12:40 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

very happy with fuelpak as well also saw they have map for andrews26.

Old 10-12-2009 | 12:51 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

Thanks for info on fuel Pak. I will contact them.

Old 10-12-2009 | 01:42 PM
SeattleBiker
3rd Gear

Good report. I am very interested in the 255's but my RK is primarily for touring and I like it quiet. I've heard the cams make it louder. Is it noticeably louder? How would you describe the difference?

Quick Reply: Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher