Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 05:48 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by confused
Mine got tuned today
SE 255's, tuned with a TTS Mastertune
I called him up and he just finished
I will be picking up on Tuesday
He said; 79HP 91TP

Should be like a new bike w/ F&R E3's and the CAMS

CAN'T WAIT
That's pretty good... Please post up your dyno sheet when you can.

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:46 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cmashark
Well, Friday I installed a set of the 255's on my 09 and today I took it on a ~200 mile ride. This ride had city, interstate, and winding country roads. I am pleased to say that the bike performed flawlessly. No hiccups, surging.... just smoothing cruising and great throttle response. The bike also delivered its best mileage ever. 45.325 mpg's. The previous best was 41.2 and that was 100% interstate. I can't believe how much harder the bike pulls now, compared to stock. Night and day difference. I currently have a V&H fuel pak on the bike and can't wait to see what it does after the PCV is installed and dyno tuned.

I owe a big thanks to iclick, PTAG, and Sefferdog for the info and parts needed to do this job.

Chris
How hard is the install? I always wanted to do this. I need more torque for my fat ***

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:56 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brihvac
How hard is the install? I always wanted to do this. I need more torque for my fat ***
I didn't think it was too hard.... for me I think the hardest part was removing my power duals and a close second was adjusting the pushrods with only 2 hands

Old 10-11-2009 | 09:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Shoot, I wish I could get closer to 50.... A buddy of mine has a relatively stock 07 Ultra and he says his best was 52 mpg on one of his trips to NY...
I might be able to get 52mpg going downhill with a tailwind, but 50.5 is the best I've ever gotten on this bike. I have leaned my cruise range as far as I can without performance or heat problems (14.5-14.6) and don't know what else to do to improve mileage. I can't even approach my old carbed RK Evo, which got in the mid-50's routinely as long as I kept the speed <60mph, and even hit >60mpg twice on slow rides with a tailwind.

I have no problems with the highway mileage, but in the city it is usually 38-40. I could do better if I could buy real gas (i.e. no alcohol) in this area. The BTU's produced by this gasohol is 3% lower than pure gas and that reflects on both mileage and power.

Old 10-11-2009 | 10:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I didn't think it was too hard.... for me I think the hardest part was removing my power duals and a close second was adjusting the pushrods with only 2 hands
The stock exhaust system is a PITA for sure. As a cheap bastard I just had to re-use the stock pushrods, and that prolonged the job 2-3 hrs. OTOH if I had to do it over again I would do the same thing. At least I didn't have to adjust the pushrods and won't need to worry about them coming out of adjustment at an inopportune moment, but that shouldn't be a problem if they are tightened properly. I used Rivera Taperlites on my old Evo and they only came loose once in nine years and >100k miles. I think in that one case I just forgot to tighten it after making an adjustment.

How long did it take you from start to finish?

Old 10-11-2009 | 10:40 PM
cmashark
|
Road Warrior

I plan on checking the pushrods at every oil change.

It took between 6 and 7 hours... That includes the time it took for me to go buy a set of bolt cutters.

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:30 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

cmashark, well that's another good report on the 255's. And I'm getting closer to pull the trigger.It's a close one between the 255's and the HQ 500 cams. Any reports on the HQ cams? TIA.

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:55 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

I installed a set of SE255 cams about 2 weeks ago, its been too cold and wet to give it a good run, but based on about 150 miles, it was impressive. The sound at idle is much better, however louder than I had hoped. [stock pipes]. The bike pulles much better thru the entire range right up to the rev limiter. Very impressive in the 3500 to 5500 range. I had read reports that the power dropped off after 4000 rpm but I did not feel that. The gas milage was not so good, however that was due to my right wrist. I normally get between 35-45 mpg depending how I ride.

I did this change after reading ICLICK's thread on cam change.

This is a 2007 ultra with stock pipes and AC without a fuel management system. The plugs after 150 miles looked identical to the ones I took out prior to the change.

Last edited by chasswartz; 10-12-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:03 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior

Wonder how much the dealer would charge to do this. Im just thinking for keeping my warranty. My dealers pretty cool if they do the work

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:07 AM
joe98
Road Captain

Streetking, I just had the HQ 500's installed on my 08 Street Glide. They work very well, my bike is basically a stock 96" with stock head pipes, Bassani Megaphone slip ons, SE Super Tuner, SE intake/filter. It made about 83 hp/95tq. Pulls very hard from about 2800 rpm. Still needs some fine tuning in the lower rpm range, driveabiltiy, but other wise I am quite happy. Bike sounds much better at idle. Good luck with your choice...

Quick Reply: Ride report...after 255 install on 96 incher