Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lowering Blocks-Junk Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Lowering Blocks-Junk Or Not?

I know there are many post on the lowering blocks versus the lowering shocks, I would just like a few more opinoins from members currently running the lowering blocks on their 09's and up touring models, specifically a Road Kind standard. I need about 3/4 to 1 inch to be totally flat footed. Already did a seat mod which really helped, and I have seen many (KITS) on e-bay fairly "cheap". Just need to know are these cheap kits just that = junk, or are they really worth putting on a 18000 dollar bike. I know many are running the lowered shocks 279.oo a pair, but was just trying to save some coin for other parts. I know this is a long thread but I am really close to getting one or the other and just need some help easeing my mind on making the right decision, hey thats why we are here to help each other out right? Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews on the blocks and won't go that direction. You can find Ultima shocks on Ebay for a around $140 or there's a company called Bitchin Baggers that you can send your shocks to they'll lower them for you. That's about $175.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got hard bags so you can install the lowering blocks. They won't fit on Classics with leather hard bags.

Go for it. I used them for a year on one of my Sportsters and they worked perfectly and didn't harm handling at all. I've also installed them on several Dynas for pals and they are tickled.

No matter how you lower the azz end, you need to be mindful that you place the floor board rear brackets closer to the pavement and it can cause you to skid when leaned over too far, so if you already scrape the floorboards you need to be very careful about lowering your scoot more.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Lowering blocks were popular here on the forum a couple of years ago, however there were several reports of handling problems that they fell out of favor. That, and there was an unscrupulous member who sold some poor quality blocks and guys were having some serious issues with refunds.

If you want my opinion it would be to save up for the shock replacements and not the blocks.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I've been running the blocks in the 1" lower hole for about 10000 miles and have had no problem but don't drive too aggressively in the turns. I live in a fairly rural area with lots of back roads that might cause some bottoming out but haven't experienced it. I am 180 lbs and mostly ride solo and faithfully keep 23 lbs in the shocks. When I have a passenger I go to 50 lbs with my passenger being around 125 lbs.

Oh yes, since you asked about a Road King (standard), I did run them for years on my RK with no issues.

The blocks I used seem to only change the shock angle 2-3 degrees.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 10-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

While lowering kits are cost effective they can also create problems such as the clank my buddy's bike had after installing a lowering kit. No matter what pressure he tried the clank was always there and the ride was atrocious. I rode it myself and atrocious pretty much hits the nail on the head.
He then installed my take-off stock StreetGlide shocks and the clank problem disappeared completely and ride quality improved immensely. I rode it again and they were a marked improvement (even for stock).
He got my old SG shocks for less than the price of his lowering kit. The swap is too easy and you can find stock take-offs on this forum as well as Craigslist, Ebay, dealerships, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a set on my 06 Ultra....no issues in 15,000 miles (mine are at 2 1/4" drop)

Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, seems all the info that Ive been gathering says its about a 50 50 chance you take with the blocks. Some say no issues others say bottoming out and fender rubbing, guess it comes down to me making the decision. I did come across a place that sells the lowering blocks called E-Glide Goodies, looks like maybe their blocks might be a little better quality than the ones on e-bay, oh well live and learn right? Thanks agian guys.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This little statement on the bitchinbaggers site was enough to steer me away from them.

A Word About Lowering Brackets

This is the safest most reliable and cost effective method of lowering your Bagger. The use of shock relocating brackets should never be considered! Over half of our customers have come to us because of problems encountered from the use of these types of lowering devices. Phoenix Customs does mechanical design and machining, we could easily make these brackets ourselves but frankly I would be embarrassed to attach my name to that junk and even more embarrassed to ask you to attach it to your Harley.

Dangers of using shock relocating brackets

• Changes critical shock angle causing rough ride.
  • Stability issues and increased bagger wobble.
  • Can cause the lower shock eyelet to break off.
  • The brackets often times break from flex and fatigue caused by increased shock angle.
  • Clearance issues with bags due to increased shock angle
  • Allows tire to come in contact with fender, VERY UNSAFE, if you're lucky it only burns up your tire, the paint on your fender and the tail light wiring harness.

Yeah there are gonna be plenty of people that have run a ton of miles with no problems. Didn't want to take a chance myself.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
This little statement on the bitchinbaggers site was enough to steer me away from them.

Yeah there are gonna be plenty of people that have run a ton of miles with no problems. Didn't want to take a chance myself.
Had several of those problems on my 97RK, that is why I changed out to the lower Progressive 440's on that bike and when I got my EGC, went with the HD lowprofile rear and lowering kit for the front.

If you are trying to save money, find a set of lower Takeoffs...You will probably be much happier in the end and have no risk of having to do it twice.

Quick Reply: Rear Lowering Blocks-Junk Or Not?