Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lowering Blocks-Junk Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried a lowering kit thinking I was going to save money like you and after about 50 miles I took it off and did it the right way (shorter Progressive air shocks).
With the kit I had to keep the shocks completely aired up and the tire would still hit the top of the fender at times.
I also only weigh 190 and ride 1 up.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

I ran lowering blocks for several years without any problems at all. I eventually changed to Arnott air shocks because I could drop it way down when I needed to walk it and I can adjust the height on the fly. I would not hesitate to use the blocks again.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag1886
I tried a lowering kit thinking I was going to save money like you and after about 50 miles I took it off and did it the right way (shorter Progressive air shocks).
With the kit I had to keep the shocks completely aired up and the tire would still hit the top of the fender at times.
I also only weigh 190 and ride 1 up.
Interesting....I'm 215 lbs, wife 135 lbs....27lbs rear shock pressure and we never bottom out....just sayin.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM
mmont
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm running the blocks from Road 6 customs on my 09 SG 1st hole which is a 1" drop.
No problems. 26lbs air. 1 or two up. If you're bottoming out two up you might want to invest in a gym membership. LOL

Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried the lowering blocks on my RKC. I go 190, wife 130 and the only way to keep from bottoming out was to ride so stiff we couldn't enjoy a full day ride on the bike. (especially with a loaded t-bag). The standard shocks are designed to have a certain amount of travel and in order for them to work correctly you can't drop the mount and expect they won't rub. If you put more air in you sacrifice the ride to avoid bottoming out.

I put a set of Progressive 440 11.5" on and couldn't be happier. The bike rides better than the stock shocks with the bracket and can't bottom out.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I have blocks on my '08 Ultra, no issues. The dealer included them when I bought the bike.
As far as scraping boards and some of the other issues mentioned it doesn't matter if you use blocks or shorter shocks, the height difference is the same.
Not all manufacturers are the same so I wouldn't be surprised to find some blocks of questionable quality (same for shocks).

Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My $.02 is that the HD profile lowering shocks is the way to go without spending a ton on other high end brands. There are always plenty for sale on e-bay or here in the forum in the 125.00 - 175.00 range. And a big thing for me is that they are a genuine HD part and I figure they would not make them available if they weren't a safe product to install on your touring bike. Those lowering brackest are indeed cheap but changing the shock angle to accomplish this is risky in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default lowering blocks

Originally Posted by 09BlueRoadKing
I know there are many post on the lowering blocks versus the lowering shocks, I would just like a few more opinoins from members currently running the lowering blocks on their 09's and up touring models, specifically a Road Kind standard. I need about 3/4 to 1 inch to be totally flat footed. Already did a seat mod which really helped, and I have seen many (KITS) on e-bay fairly "cheap". Just need to know are these cheap kits just that = junk, or are they really worth putting on a 18000 dollar bike. I know many are running the lowered shocks 279.oo a pair, but was just trying to save some coin for other parts. I know this is a long thread but I am really close to getting one or the other and just need some help easeing my mind on making the right decision, hey thats why we are here to help each other out right? Thanks
I have the lowering blocks on my 2009 EGC. They work really well. I bought them off ebay from eastern performance. I've had them on my bike about six months and 8,000 miles. I was going to buy the HD lowering shocks, but was told they would make the ride worse. If you only need an inch, I think the blocks would work great. It doesn't change your shock angle much. Ron

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

TJ Products Lowering kit. Available at EGlideGoodies. Have'um on mine, no problems.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
EvanW
Intermediate

I had the lowering HD shocks on my 09 EGC and didn't care for the ride with 2up. I'll sell them for $150 + shipping if you would like to try them.

Quick Reply: Rear Lowering Blocks-Junk Or Not?