Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king to high

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
fire captain
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king to high

I would like to lower my 2004 RK Classic. Do I have to loose the air shocks? I,d rather not if possible

Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used a set of Progressive 1" short air shocks and the standard Harley 1" lowering spring kit on the front, it worked very well. The rear shocks are way better than Harleys and the springs seem to firm up the front end.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
plumpbiker
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get shorter air shocks from Harley, the ones they use on the SG. They're 1" lower. You can change your seat too, or do what I did on my RK and just shave some foam off the stock seat. You can find instructions online on how to do it. It was very easy and came out perfect (if you do it right). I've seen a couple butchered jobs too. The trick is to take your time and slice or sand a little at a time.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering the bike front and rear will help you and it won't affect handling noticeably.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Contact Bitchen Baggers. they can cut your stock shocks down a whole lot cheeper than buying new ones and you can retain your factory ride.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
Contact Bitchen Baggers. they can cut your stock shocks down a whole lot cheeper than buying new ones and you can retain your factory ride.

This is what im doing, I have some 11.5" progressives currently. Gonna go back to the air shocks though.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM
fire captain
3rd Gear

whats the deal with going back to the air shocks

Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by fire captain
whats the deal with going back to the air shocks

ride is a little stiff riding 2up and loaded. will be also changing out seats in the near future. Find my bike upgrade priorities have changed around a little now that she has taken a liking to riding all the time.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 AM
fire captain
3rd Gear

Thanks the reason I went to the R K from the Iron883 was wife likes to ride and more comfort, the seat is a touring type similar to yours in the pic but one piece. I believe there is a lowering bracket you put on at the bottom of the shock. that's what I need. I'll keep looking

Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 AM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by fire captain
Thanks the reason I went to the R K from the Iron883 was wife likes to ride and more comfort, the seat is a touring type similar to yours in the pic but one piece. I believe there is a lowering bracket you put on at the bottom of the shock. that's what I need. I'll keep looking

Although the bracket is cheaper, I have heard of issues with them. As they change the shock angle, which can create unsafe handling. Also creating some clearance issues. Have heard of people using them successfully, but I dont mind spending the extra $70 to avoid taking any chances.

Main reasons Im replacing the seat is that it is a 2piece and I want a rider backrest also wife says the pad is too narrow. So Im going with the sundowner which accepts rider backrest, and pad is a few inches wider.

Also was told by Ron at BB that their 1" lowered shock mod they do only lose 1/4" of travel over stock air shocks.

Quick Reply: road king to high