Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring bike for the vertically challenged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Zzzooom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring bike for the vertically challenged?

With 2 seasons of riding..3000 miles total, I'm ready to trade in the Nightster. I'm only 5'3, I test rode a Deluxe and loved it. I wish I could handle a touring bike though...street glide. I noticed alot of women seem to go from sportsters to a deluxe, and deluxe riders to a street glide.

Anyone out there as short as me able to ride a touring bike?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Depends on your inseam. I'm 5'4" with a 27" inseam. I have a 2008 Electra glide with the Profile front springs and rear shocks (1" drop front & rear) along with the reach seat. I also wear a set of riding boots with at least a 1" heel. I flat foot my ride with ease.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest a ST deluxe with custom seat. I've been shopping the Deluxe myself and find it hard to resist when outfitted with bags and shield. It looks more classic than my Road King Classic and sits WAY lower in the saddle.

You can lower a touring bike about an inch but you will give up maybe too much lean angle depending on your driving style. It's also a real challenge to safely tiptoe a touring bike when two up.

2010 dealer demo rides are starting to happen, so try them all.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It isn't always about height. It is more your inseam. I am 5'8" but have around a 28" inseam. I can flatfoot it just fine on a normal height 08 and earlier touring bike. Even better on a Street Glide. On the 09-10 frame I can't flatfoot with my tallest riding boots and a lower seat. My feet touch but no bend to the knees. Best thing to do is go to your local dealership and sit on a few touring bikes new and used and see how they feel to you.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5'5", with a 26" inseam. It was a struggle with my 07 classic. I went to a Tri Glide. You could try a reach seat, lower the triple trees, shorter shocks.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides just being able to ride it, you must enjoy the ride. Why not consider a Softtail?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leckmc
Besides just being able to ride it, you must enjoy the ride. Why not consider a Softtail?
You got it. Ain't nuthin worse than feeling tense and inconfident at every stop n go just cause you gotta deal with an inch or two of extra seat height.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Try a Street Glide or an 04-07 Road King Custom.

If you love the ST Deluxe then you should get that. Forget about the keyboard commandos here that say it is a girl's bike. It ain't. I see a hell of a lot of women riding Ultras and Electra Glides, as well as the occasional Road Glide. Of course, this is the west and western women are tougher than most.

My middle age son has an 05 Deluxe with over 50K miles of riding all over the western US and he has no problems with putting 10-12 hour days in on it and he's no sissy. He would have more miles on it but he spent most of the last year in Afghanistan.

And, by the way, no one has told him that it is a girl's bike.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
taylormade
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5foot4 and with the 1 inch lowering kit and a boot with a heel, i can get flat footed easy without a reach seat on my street glide. I also sat on a deluxe and it sits lower than the street glide. Don't rule out the deluxe.

Last edited by taylormade; 10-10-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
plumpbiker
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a test ride on a Street Glide. If you like it, the HD reach seat will drop you down another inch without messing with the suspension. I'm a shorty myself and am looking for a seat for my SG. The reach feels good but I don't like the puffy looking passenger section. It has alot to do with being able to bring your legs closer together at a stop. Any seat that's low and narrow should work. I would really take a SG for a test and compare it to the Deluxe. I'm actually thinking about trading my SG for a Deluxe and dressing it with a Bat wing fairing and hard bags with true duals. That way I get Low and keep my tunes and storage. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Touring bike for the vertically challenged?