Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring bike for the vertically challenged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care what anybody says, the deluxe makes a beautiful bagger.
Go here and see for yourself:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-deluxe.html

Old 10-12-2009, 02:11 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You know a lot of you telling the lady how you made your bike fit, are 3+ inches taller than her 5'3". That is quite a big difference.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
You know a lot of you telling the lady how you made your bike fit, are 3+ inches taller than her 5'3". That is quite a big difference.

That is why I suggested the fatboy low.

I agree 5'3" is very short for a touring bike even with lowering it and getting a new seat.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 09 Ultra to replace my 06 Ultra. The height difference and inabilit to flat foot it were very noticiable in the first few weeks to the point of being dangerous. I bought a Arnott air ride system and can lower my bike 4 inches under me if I need to. If I see sand or gravel at a stop I drop it. There is less clearance under the 09 UC so I raise it again to ride the highways. In town I ride it 1-2 inches lowered for frequent stops. With the air ride I don't loose the clearance under the bike (very important in the twisties or over speed bumps). I have a better ride. I can tighten the suspension for the twisties and loosen it up on rough roads. I did not have to change seats. With air ride you lower the bike. Stand up and hit the up button until it raises up to your butt then off you go. I also put a shortened center stand on it and I can put the stand down then lower the air ride until it sits on the stand. To leave just raise the bike and drive off. When lowered it has the full weight of the bike on the center stand and you do not have to worry about it rolling off. This is a problem with some stands. This set up has made this bike perfect now in every way.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,171 Likes on 3,678 Posts

My buddy is pretty short and has a UC... Man buy what you like, if you like a softail buy that. You can make any bike a touring bike...Heritage or a deluxe is an awesome looking bike and sits low...My buddys Ultra is lowered and rides the curves with the wife on there easily...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I second the vote for a softtail. They are much lower to the ground. If its a struggle to get you footing, you sound a bit small to try to prevent Glide from rolling over. If you can't get both feet to hit the ground nearly flat, you are asking for problems.

If you "just have to have" a Glide, they are lower than a RK but the newer 6 gallon tanks makes for a very wide posture. Older 5 gallon bikes will fit better. But again, a softtail frame will start you out about 2 inches lower and I think you will need it.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM
katmby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 29"inseam and am 5'4" had a deluxe and put 12,000miles on it. Test drove the Street Glide and the ride was more comfortable than the deluxe for me. Now have the Street Glide and wouldn't go back to the Deluxe for the comfort of longer rides. I put a corbin solo seat on it to lower me a little more and it is a little more narrow in the front than the stock seat. My boots have a 1" heel so I am flat footed with some bend in the knees.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't read through all the posts here...but I think you would be very happy with the Deluxe. You can add a fairing (DeadCenter, Dragonfly or Hoppe) and get the music and wind protection/handling of a bagger. I have the DeadCenter on my RKC and love it. I bought if off a guy who traded his RKC for an Ultra - his wife rides a Heritage with a DeadCenter fairing and she told me she loves it.

Get what you're comfortable with.

FWIW, I have a friend (male, MSF/Riders Edge Instructor) who isn't very tall. My guess he is 5'4" with a 28" inseam. He had an Ultra and traded it for a SG (with a Reach Seat) because he never really felt comfortable on the Ultra. He's still not flat-footed on his SG either, but he feels better on it.

Edit: Just saw that you're a lady so I'll add this...because we are not as strong as the fellas (simple fact), I would really like to encourage you to get a Deluxe or Heritage. Sure, there are women who handle baggers with ease, but at your height, it will be more of a challenge. They are more top heavy...trust me. I'm 5'8"-5'9" (depending on the day), with a lowered '09 RKC and it has my respect. Yes, I ride it and don't carry it, but it's real important for me to have my feet flat to "manhandle it" in parking lots/on gravel/backing up. If I have tennis shoes on when moving it around the garage/driveway (for washing it), it is amazing how much heavier the bike feels w/o that extra inch I get with my boots on. Because guys have more upper body strength, even the ones at the same height as you will have an easier time moving it around.

I don't know you and I especially don't have any idea about your "strength" or how much "moxie" you have, so I hope I'm not discouraging you. I certainly don't assume that all of us women are frail, but the simple fact is, Harleys are big and heavy...esp when compared to other "brands". Even the guys can't deny that. You can set up a Softail for touring so you can ride in comfort for many miles. Like another poster said, get a bike you feel comfortable riding...or else you won't want to ride it.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by monstead; 10-12-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

i ride with a girl whos 5 foot nothin shes got a 06 sg she had the seat reworked and put a backrest on it it keep her more forward and helps with backin it up . i get on that bike and it feels amazingly small to me after coming from am ultra.look at the pre 09 sg.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
bsps1111
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some showrooms with rubber tiles of various heights that are placed on the floor on each side of the bike to simulate how you would fit with a lowering kit. Put them next to the bikes that interest you and try them out. Low tech but quite effective.

Quick Reply: Touring bike for the vertically challenged?