Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 to 107

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:57 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

might be a dumm question -- why wouldnt you go with the 110SE upgrade rather than the 107 " ?? i waiting for my warranty to expire next year and looking to make more HP and TQ from my 96".

Old 10-12-2009 | 10:43 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Because the 110" requires your case to be worked on.....from what I have been reading on here many are getting really good power out of 103s, 106s, and 107s.....

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:05 PM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by timvan
Im running a GMR 107 - love it!
Puts out nearly identical #'s as a HQ kit with lower compression and no starter issues without cr releases

Call Steve

Im getting nearly identical #'s to your 107 from my 98....
And didnt get any extra parts left in my bike...

Might try giving Scott up at Hillside Cycle a call.

Old 10-12-2009 | 05:39 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

110s have issues of cylinders weeping, etc. MOCO uses o-rings for 110s like they do standard 88-107 cylinders, but it doesn't work out near as well. Not enough 'meat' left after an over bored spigot AND countersinking for o-ring. a 110 is frowned upon as an upgrade because of this reliability issue.

Stock bikes have an o-ring between the cylinder and the cases to seal that up. THIS is the o-ring in question... the one at the base of the cylinder.

See the added counter bore for the o-rings next to where the cylinder slides into the cases.... like a step between the big *** hole and the flat portion of the case (this is a stock bore)? Imagine this ALL larger and you can see that this o-ring cavity gets close to the edge, right? And right next to studs and return holes.

Been NUMEROUS recalls by MOCO for this weeping cylinder problem... just not widely known about.

Larger spigots work well with base gaskets and aftermarket cylinders... Base gasket set-up machines the hole larger and just eliminates that step... bore the step right off...still nice and strong that way.

If you ARE going to bore your cases, then the recommended size would most likely be a 117.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-12-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 06:13 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Your bang / $$ ratio is FAR better with a QUALITY 107 than a 110.

I've built a number of HQ107's & they flat azz GeiIt! All of mine have been built for riding in TX, where it's pretty damn hot too. Not single vendor has the best solution for every situation, but one of the well known vendors like HQ, TMan, Hillside, etc will hook you up with what ya need.

Do your homework NOW!

Old 10-12-2009 | 06:24 PM
ryanl
Tourer

Dollar per hp/ftlb is gonna be as cheap as it will ever be for you right now. Use a hodgepodge of parts and that ratio will go in the crapper. So speak ( i mean like get on the phone and talk to)a reputable shop about your riding style and their reccomendations. As stated there really is no magic bullet for every single rider/bike/style/climate combination. But a good builder will be able to tailor a combo to your needs and meet your expectations.

Phil named 3 of the best.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-12-2009 | 06:30 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhilM
Your bang / $$ ratio is FAR better with a QUALITY 107 than a 110.
107 will pound a 110

(did I sound like Scotty? HAHA)

Port those stock heads, get a nice all around cam...(like an Andrews 54) it would be a BEAST!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 06:48 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryanl
And didnt get any extra parts left in my bike..
If ANYBODY says a cross word about Scott, all you guys get up in arms. But... say all the BS about ANY other builder and it's all good. I already KNOW, you do NOT care for me, because... I used R&R and Hyperformance to do my crankshaft.

But at least I BUILT my own engine, and... with all the damn hodgepodge of mismatched wont work together parts, too. Yep... that cheap no good S&S stuff can NOT hold a candle to GOD boring old wore out cylinders...

Get off of the man's dick already.

What did you do? Heavy lifting like write a check?

I always liked the idea that THIS site was a war FREE zone. What does an obvious mistake (of course you never made ANY) have to do with a 107 build?

Sigh......... to hell with this site!

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:07 PM
ryanl
Tourer

Whoa Wurk!
Nothing directed at you in my post. Sorry if it came across that way.

BTW, I think Scott probably knows me well enough not to take a check

Old 10-13-2009 | 07:44 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ryanl
Im getting nearly identical #'s to your 107 from my 98....
And didnt get any extra parts left in my bike...

Might try giving Scott up at Hillside Cycle a call.
Different stroke motor, not a TBW bike... and wtf are you speaking of with extra parts? I do all my own work!

Last edited by timvan; 10-13-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 to 107