Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009 | 10:40 AM
jstr1511
|
Intermediate
Default Shorty

I am 5'4" and a 27" inseam. I can ride a Heritage no problem, but want to get into a touring model. Are there any other shorties out there and what did you do to "fit" the bike and still keep a comfortable ride. Heard bad things about Reach Seats and not sure about lowering kits vs. air ride vs. etc, etc. Need to hear from someone who is doing it and can relate. Advice from a 6 ft rider don't help much.

Old 10-10-2009 | 10:52 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

You could try these...

Old 10-10-2009 | 11:01 AM
jstr1511
|
Intermediate
Cool Thanks

I tried my 6 inch spike heels but it just doesn't get it done. Thanks anyways.

Old 10-10-2009 | 11:44 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jstr1511
I am 5'4" and a 27" inseam. I can ride a Heritage no problem, but want to get into a touring model. Are there any other shorties out there and what did you do to "fit" the bike and still keep a comfortable ride. Heard bad things about Reach Seats and not sure about lowering kits vs. air ride vs. etc, etc. Need to hear from someone who is doing it and can relate. Advice from a 6 ft rider don't help much.
I have a 29" inseam. I have an 07 EGC with a stock seat, the HD lowprofile shocks and lower front end kit. It does the job for me. The 09 Frame and seat seem a little wider and higher. My guess when I got on that would be I would have to do a seat also.

In your case, lower shocks front and rear along with a seat modification, the Reach seat or one modified by guys like Mean City would probably do it for you.

I would stay away from lowering blocks as they change the dynamic of suspension by changing the shock angle and can lead to bottoming out issues (had that on another bike)

Air Rides are also an option, but are pricey. They give you the ability to change things on the fly.

If you want a tourbike, there are plenty of ways to make it fit.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:02 PM
paguy
Road Captain

I think I'd stay with the softtails. Lowering and a reach seat will fit a 28" inseam, but don't know about 27". The bikes with the new frame are reportedly wider and higher then the 07 and earlier.
I'm a 30" inseam and have a corbin reach seat on my 07 RKC. I can flat feet the ground well, but with age I am shrinking.
If I was looking at a new machine the Heritage Classic would be fine. Same size wheels as a RKC and if you want air shocks they are available.

Old 10-10-2009 | 04:54 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got a 29" inseam,I understand where you are coming from.I put the low profile HD shocks on before the bike left the dealer,it helped,but I should lower the front too.I'm not flat footing it.The wider frame is an issue because the seat is wider too.I'll be shopping for a solo seat this winter.I e-mailed Mustang and they replied saying that all their seats are 1-1.5 inches higher and move you forward about an inch from stock.They also said that a rider under 5'9" might have difficulty using their seat.
I find the stock seat very comfortable while riding,but if I remove the tour-pac the seat kinda looks like a mattress.
On my previous bike(06 EG Standard)the lower shocks and a RK Custom seat were a perfect set up for me.

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:35 AM
jstr1511
|
Intermediate
Default Thanks

I appreciate the input. I like the Heritage but really wanted the better ride and the cruise control. Wish Harley would wake up and offer electronic cruise for the Heritage. They seem to have a mental block or just aren't listening to their customers. A lot of guys have talked about cruise for Heritage. Again, thanks guys.

Old 10-12-2009 | 06:41 AM
tringle
Cruiser

I have a 27.5 inch inseam and ride an 09 Ultra with no problems. I had the front lowered one inch and the back lowered 1.5 inches. I had my stock shocks cut down by Bitchin Baggers. I ride two-up the majority of the time and with 48-50 lbs of pressure the ride is comfortable. I am also using a reach seat.
TR

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:00 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by jstr1511
28" inseam here..... I have the REACH seat..... I don't know what bad things you've heard about them.... I've had mine for the past year and a half.... 35-40 thousand miles.....no problems here..... but I suspect folks are looking for "lazy-boy-recliner" comfort.... the reach is just a good seat... no more, no less. but then again, I ride 20k + every year, so I have a bit of an ironbutt, compared to some.

Ask your dealer, if they would mount a reach seat on a bike, so you can try it.

Stay away from lowering kits if you can, the lowered shocks would be prefered, maybe you can swing a deal at purchase.

On a side note, I know of a woman, who has mounted HD hard bags, and a batwing fairing on her Softail, as a cheaper alternative to buying a Road Glide

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:10 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

I also have a short inseam (28in.) that is part of the reason I got the Road King Custom which was lowered in the rear shocks at the factory. When we put on the chrome fork lowers we went and lowered the front end 1 inch, and when I put on the floorboard extensions I also raised them up at the same time. Yes I can scrape in the turns once in a while, but if I add the wife Speed goes way down from pokes in the ribs.

Quick Reply: Shorty