Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New update for HK Radio/CD player

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 10:04 PM
103FLHX
Road Master
Default RE: New update for HK Radio/CD player

I tried update several times. No luck.

As mentioned previously, gets stuck at "verifying DSP image". Have left it for 15 mins & got pi$$ed off. I assume it is "stuck", however, according to Bob, it may take 20-25??? maybe I'l go try it again.

I did find out that you don't need to pull fuse to get CD out. After several attempts, I realized that if you get pi$$ed, just ignition to off & leave for a minute or 2. Then turn it on as per "test instructions" when you see the test screen, push update & then push eject & it will eject. Makes it a little less aggravating, not having to pull the fuse.

Next question is how long to wait??? 20 mins? 25 mins/ 30 mins?

Gotta get the CD from the garbage & Back to the garage!!!!

[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 07-02-2006 | 10:57 PM
103FLHX
Road Master

OK, tried it again.

25 mins. Could not wait any longer! No change in the "verifying DSP Image"

Oh well[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 07-02-2006 | 11:35 PM
katoomofdoom
Advanced

it makes you wonder, don't these geniuses at Harmon Kardon actually test this software before they release it? and why doesn't HD do any quality control on it either?

Old 07-02-2006 | 11:42 PM
jdag
Tourer

Motown_HOG - I agree...why show the clock in such a large font? Scroll the artist/song, or shrink/move the clock a little. And you would think that this technology would support showing the artist/song title as you were scrolling through tracks instead of "TRACK #". AARGH! My car stereo does that.

Anyhow, I found today that if you hit the OK button on the radio you will see the song name reappear. Haven't found a way to do it with the handlebar controls yet though.

Old 07-03-2006 | 04:21 PM
2006 Street Glide4me
Advanced

Tried the ugrade on my Street Glide yesterday. No matter what I do, I see the "verifying DSP Image" on the display and it never goes away no matter how long I wait. Now the damn CD is stuck in the player and I cannot eject. Tried disconnecting the master fuse for 15 minutes, insert and wait 15 minutes and still won't eject. Did this many times and the player never allows me to eject the CD. Anyone discovered any other "secrets" to ejecting the CD ?

Old 07-03-2006 | 04:59 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

I was able to update my firmware on my Roadglide. Was the first time doing it, and it went smoothly.
I did like that there was a progress indicator, so it counted up in percentage points until it was done.

One thing I did notice, is that it almost seems like the cd player is now more sensitive to scratches on the cd.
I had several songs that played fine before, but now will skip. Of course, I may have inadvertently added scratches to the cd when I was updating the radio
Burned a new CD, and it plays fine so far.

Having worked nearly all my life with digital electronics, firmware updates are generally a risky proposition. For most computer hardware, you can easily kill the firmware, and have to get the firmware chip replaced, hot swap with an identical chip to start, the replace and burn with the "damaged" one, or if its soldered to the hardweare, the whole thing is trash.

Some firmware's have some sort of recovery methods, so you don't end up a with a useless piece of silicon. It seems like Harmon Kardon may have something like that but its hard to tell. Usually though, I would stay away from a firmware update unless I absoutely needed it i.e fixed a problem I was having...I would neve update for the sake of updating.
That being said, I think we all want more functionality from our radios. Just keep that warranty info handy in case you kill your radio!

Old 07-03-2006 | 05:14 PM
rideon
Road Warrior

Hey guys, if any of you are having problems and the screen is saying verifying dsp image I think it means you have dowloaded only half the file. On my bike it said the same thing and would not work, we finally figured it out and it was because of the two part file. After we did mine we did two others with no problem. I was the guinea pig they were too chicken to go first!

Good luck, rideon

Old 07-03-2006 | 06:35 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

Just did the update. It worked flawlessly. Took 7 minutes per directions. I now get artist and title. Title goes away after a few seconds and is replaced by clock. Title can be recalled for several seconds by pressing OK button. Up and down arrows advance or rewind a track at a time. Some of my mp3s don't have artist information in which case they show the title only. Version is now 8.9. Worth the upgrade IMHO.

Adam

Old 07-03-2006 | 07:33 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

I am also hanging on verifying dsp image, I had the same proble with the other update. So far I have use 4 different brands of blank cds and 2 Windows computers and 2 Macintosh computer. This radio has been the biggest piece of crap that I have ever seen. Then again so was the motor mounts, fork lock, download for the stage one and SE slip ons. It still surges around 2K rpms.

Old 07-03-2006 | 07:36 PM
2006 Street Glide4me
Advanced

Finally got mine to work. Main problem might have been that I didn't "close" the CD after burning the two files to it. After a few more tries, it finally read the whole CD and then applied the updates. Everything fine now, but takes a PC guru and/or a ton of patience to make this work.

Quick Reply: New update for HK Radio/CD player