Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Two Up TourPak Rack issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
thrasher
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Two Up TourPak Rack issue

Is anyone using the Detachable Two Up TourPak Rack and Touring Detachable Docking Hardware Kit on a Road King or otherwise?

Everything is installed as per instructions, but after a few hundred miles, I'm getting some back and forth "movement" out it now. The movement is in the rack/docking hardware interface. I've seen this on a friend's Road King also.

I just read a post on v-twinforum of one instance where the TourPak rac moved enough in the docking hardware to crack one of the nylon inserts. Consequently it fell off.

Click here to see the thread.

See the post by JMynes.

If anyone has any information (similar issue or solution) please post. Personally, I'm tending to agree with JMynes: the rack and docking hardware are not up to the task of holding down the TourPak.

thanks,

thrasher

Old 06-28-2006, 03:54 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Detachable Two Up TourPak Rack issue

If it is installed and spaced correctly, should lock down tight with NO movement.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
thrasher
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

If it is installed and spaced correctly, should lock down tight with NO movement.
It is installed and spaced correctly as per instructions. It did lockdown tight just after installation. HOWEVER, like I said, checking it after a few hundred miles there is some noticeable back and forth movement in the rack/docking hardware interface.

thrasher

Old 06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if the front bolts are tight and make sure it is seating all the way into the notch on the front of the tour pak mount. Are the back mounting points in the right spot. I don't see how it could shake or be loose if the locks are snapped shut, it should be tighter'n a mouses ear. good luck with it. Stafford

Old 06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
thrasher
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: stafford

Check to see if the front bolts are tight and make sure it is seating all the way into the notch on the front of the tour pak mount. Are the back mounting points in the right spot. I don't see how it could shake or be loose if the locks are snapped shut, it should be tighter'n a mouses ear. good luck with it. Stafford
The rack locks down into the docking hardware as it was intended. But the movement is definetly between the rack and the docking hardware. I've checked everything else. The bolts are solid; all four docking bolts are torqued and have lLocktite on them as per instructions. Looking at it very closely, the "forks" of the rack appear to be wearing flat spots where they rest on both sides of the black nylon inserts of the front docking hardware.

If you have this exact setup (and have put some miles on it), check it out by lifting on the rear of your TourPak and watching the rack/docking hardware. See if you feel any movement.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I have the same set up on my RG. And, there is a small movement between the rack and the docking hardware. I feel that this is acceptable, since I would never ride with an empty tour-pak and will always have a passenger leaning on the backrest. Another thing you can do is to add some washers to the either front or back (or all) docking points. This will move the nylon washers outward and create a tighter connection when mounting your tour-pak.

ORIGINAL: thrasher

ORIGINAL: stafford

The rack locks down into the docking hardware as it was intended. But the movement is definetly between the rack and the docking hardware. I've checked everything else. The bolts are solid; all four docking bolts are torqued and have lLocktite on them as per instructions. Looking at it very closely, the "forks" of the rack appear to be wearing flat spots where they rest on both sides of the black nylon inserts of the front docking hardware.

If you have this exact setup (and have put some miles on it), check it out by lifting on the rear of your TourPak and watching the rack/docking hardware. See if you feel any movement.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
thrasher
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Kahuna
I have the same set up on my RG. And, there is a small movement between the rack and the docking hardware. I feel that this is acceptable, since I would never ride with an empty tour-pak and will always have a passenger leaning on the backrest. Another thing you can do is to add some washers to the either front or back (or all) docking points. This will move the nylon washers outward and create a tighter connection when mounting your tour-pak.
I've been riding with an empty TourPak with no passenger,... that probably didnt' help matters. I agree with your thought on tightening up the connection by adding more friction points; I've been experimenting with that.

FYI for anyone interested in this issue, I just got a call back from Harley and their tech acknowledged the problem and the fact that the nylon inserts do wear flat spots in them over time. Both the front and rear nylon inserts for the docking points are available as separate service parts. They didn't really have a more "durable" solution, though.

thrasher

Old 06-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Yeah, and the stealer wants about $9 a piece for those nylon washers too! I'm wondering if I can find something comparable at a specialized hardware store? I know that Phenolic material does not wear down as fast. If anyone finds something comparable, please post!

ORIGINAL: thrasher

ORIGINAL: Kahuna
I've been riding with an empty TourPak with no passenger,... that probably didnt' help matters. I agree with your thought on tightening up the connection by adding more friction points; I've been experimenting with that.

FYI for anyone interested in this issue, I just got a call back from Harley and their tech acknowledged the problem and the fact that the nylon inserts do wear flat spots in them over time. Both the front and rear nylon inserts for the docking points are available as separate service parts. They didn't really have a more "durable" solution, though.

thrasher

Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I've had the very same problem with my detachable tour pak mount. I had it dealer installed,was nice tight fit when i picked it up from the dealer,700 miles later it was so loose on the mounts i removed the rack because i feared it would fall off the bike,upon closer inspection of the mounts (which were all still tight,and hadn't moved) all 4 of the plastic spacers on the docking points had wear grooves on them,so much so... it allowed the tour pak to rock back and forth as if it hadnt been locked down onto the mounts properly,I replaced all 4 plastic inserts on the docking points and within 600 miles i had the same problem again with the tour pak starting to get loose again. dealer suggested wrapping electrical tape around the insert to take up the space,my fix was to remove this piece of crap mount and remount my king tour pak on the factory bolt on tour pak rack,the price of doing that wasnt much more than changing the insert again,i think i paid around $43.00 from zanotti's for the factory bolt on rack. 1500 miles later ...... no problems with the tour pak coming loose and i really dont have the desire to remove the tour pak anyway,I like it on the bike,only con to the whole thing is now my pillow look passenger back rest is pretty much useless,seeing how i've removed all the detachable mounts on the bike. for me detachable tour pak rack = $117.00 +36 for new spacers a total waste of my hard earned coin,wish i had just gone with the bolt on mount to begin with!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Hmmm...with all thsis tour pak quick release rattlin' around I wonder if there's a way to do a non QR sissy bar?

I suppose the issues ain't the same with a QR sissy bar as that on a TP, but ...

Pete

Quick Reply: Detachable Two Up TourPak Rack issue