Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopped TP w/ king backrest & luggage rack...NOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This idiot needs to lose his job over this. I would demand a new tour pack.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The gross incompetence of the tech who drilled the holes aside, the service guy is ignorant or lied to you about HD not selling painted tour pak lids separately. All of the painted parts on the bikes are available separately - how else would an insurance repair get done - the insurance company isn't buying a new tour pak if only the lid needs to be replaced.

The tour pak lid on my bike is a separately ordered lid that I bought from an HD store that had ordered the wrong color for a customer's bike and I bought it at a huge discount for my recent repaint project.

And the Ultra tour pak bottom on my bike is a separately ordered bottom done as an insurance repair that I bought from the bike's owner, new in the HD shipping carton.

On the plus side, the dealership can order a red hot sunglo tour pak lid with the wrap-around backrest holes pre-drilled, and you won't have any prior damage to hide with the backrest.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman

On the plus side, the dealership can order a red hot sunglo tour pak lid with the wrap-around backrest holes pre-drilled, and you won't have any prior damage to hide with the backrest.

Thought you could order the lids separately. I remember hearing of people doing it but wasn't 100% sure.

And personally I would take that lid from them and put it on myself. Also drill the holes for the luggage rack yourself too. And since the lid is already off you could install the premium tour pak hinges. Would be much easier to do with the lid already off. Maybe get the dealer to throw in a set for your troubles.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

HeII man, even I can mount a luggage rack on a tourpack. I've done it three times, and got it right EVERY TIME!....................... It is kinda of funny though,............................. well not really.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if the lid cant be replaced by itself then hell yeah...they just bought me a new tourpac! and the one they fu'ed would be going with me aswell, for projects and such.

hard to think a service tech would actually just put the bra back and say, ' hey im done'

Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Update!!!

Just went in this morning and spoke to the service manager who was out last Friday & Saturday as was the service writer manager. VERY apologhetic and explained exactly what happened.

Turns out the service tech tried to drill the holes with the tour pak bra on... HELLO???? The "Saddleman" bra doesn't line up perfectly so when he realized he fuc*'ed up, he re-drilled with the bra off...friggin brain surgeon, huh?

The service tech tells the service writer what he did and to advise the customer that the dealership is probably going to owe me a tour pak. The service writer (a young kid) forgets to tell me when I pick up the pak!

You would think with such a major f' up, everyone in that shop would have known and SOMEONE would have said something to me?!???!

Long story short...I'm getting a complete NEW chopped tour pak with the holes pre-drilled from the factory for the wrap round backrest & luggage rack. (Thanks Harleypingman)

For my aggrevation, the luggage rack & backrest are free. I thought of pushing for a free 5000 mile service, but decided otherwise.

All in all, I love the people at my dealership, accidents happen, but stupidity should not be tolerated. I was given a full apology by the service writer and the service manager.

P.S. - By the time I get the tour pak, the riding season will be SHOT!!

Last edited by shredsurf; 10-12-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it went ok :-)

Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it turned out OK in the end, but what a goat rope... I'd love to see some pictures of your chopped tour pack with the wrap around arm rests. That's what I want to do for Momma for Xmas. I'll PM you my email if that will make it easier. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gald it worked out for you. at least you can still ride with the old tour pak until the new one arrives. Are you going to keep the old one? Wonder if the tech got his A%% chewed.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Sounds like it turned out OK in the end, but what a goat rope... I'd love to see some pictures of your chopped tour pack with the wrap around arm rests. That's what I want to do for Momma for Xmas. I'll PM you my email if that will make it easier. Thanks.
I'll be sure to post pics...when I get it!!

Quick Reply: Chopped TP w/ king backrest & luggage rack...NOT!!